We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary 10/19-10/23

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary 10/19-10/23

Hello Everyone!

Well, I have finally found out what tours we were able to get through our local congressman and now I would like some tips, pointers, and suggestions re: itinerary.

First, family of 4 (kids 9,11). We will be arriving 10/19 at BWI at 2:55pm and departing 10/23 @ 5:30 pm. We will be using East Coast town cars for transportation from BWI to Embassy Suites, Downtown Washington, DC.

So let me give this a whirl.

10/19

Arrival 2:55 pm BWI

6pm - Millenium Performance at Kennedy Center

Any suggestions for dinner? (Not very adventurous eaters Budget $15 - $20/ person)

10/20

Breakfast at Hotel

10:00 am - White House Garden Tour

(Metro or walking? Any suggestions?)

Time should depart hotel?

6:30 pm - Twilight Bus Tour with Free Tours by Foot

10/21

10/22

Breakfast @ hotel

8:45 am - BEP tour

Transportation? What time should we plan on departing hotel?

10/23

Breakfast @ hotel

8:30 am Library of Congress tour

11:00 am Capitol tour

(These were arranged by them but I am flexible and willing to change if other days would work best.)

Flight departs BWI for ATL @ 5:30 pm (EastCoast Town Cars for transportation to BWI)

Now this is what's left that we would like to include. Help!!!

*Arlington Cementery

*Air/Space

*Natural History

*American History

*Holocaust Museum (husband only (I have already been in the past and will do Daniel's Story w/ kids. Suggestions for what to do while waiting on hubby?

*National Archives

*Viewing of Vietnam, MLK, Lincoln monuments during the day

If can be fit in . . . .

National Portrait Gallery

Ford's Theatre

Lunch/Dinner at Hard Rock Cafe (kinda a family tradition thing)

Lunch/Dinner at Ray's Hell Burgers

Thanks for taking a look and please offer whatever suggestions. I always love the feedback this site offers when planning trips.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary 10/19-10/23

Hi fvols,

Going in order:

If you want to eat before your Kennedy Center performance, you'll likely just want to grab fast food. There are plenty of places in West End/Foggy Bottom where your hotel is. Ask the concierge for a recommendation based on your tastes.

For the White House garden tour, you're likely just as well off walking as taking the Metro, since you'd only be going for one stop. I would just leave the hotel a bit earlier and enjoy the nice walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. Give yourself 30 minutes if walking with kids.

After the garden tour (it's not very long, an hour tops) you can head east to have lunch at Hard Rock Cafe and likely visit Ford's Theater and/or the Portrait Gallery before your 6:30 tour.

For the next day, take the Blue or Orange Metro line to Capitol South station for your Library of Congress and Capitol tours. If you want to, you can walk east down Pennsylvania Avenue after your Capitol tour to get lunch in Capitol Hill. You can then spend that afternoon exploring the Smithsonian museums or archives (just hop on the Metro at Eastern Market and take the Blue/Orange lines a few stops west to Smithsonian station or transfer at L'Enfant to the Yellow/Green Lines to Archives station if you're tired of walking).

If you and the kids would prefer to skip the Holocaust Memorial Museum, I would recommend going to the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, which is located right next door. No tickets are required and tours run every 15 minutes, but you can also can reserve a slot: moneyfactory.gov/tours/washingtondctours.html

When you're done at the Holocaust Memorial Museum you can either walk the Tidal Basin and Mall to see the sites, or walk to Smithsonian Metro station and take the Blue Line over to Arlington Cemetery. After visiting the Cemetery, you can take the Metro to Rosslyn and have dinner at Ray's Hell Burger, if that's one of your destinations. Those are the only two locations in Arlington that you mentioned, so you might as well go to both at the same time.

You have plenty of days to fill in the rest of your itinerary. Safe travels!

2. Re: Itinerary 10/19-10/23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, December 14, 2013