We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

Is the Marine Memorial still under construction? Is it viewable? How do I go to see it without doing one of the Tour buses? Fit and love to walk. Evening? Safety? Single older woman! Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
55,157 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

Iwo Jima memorial has been finished for decades as far as I know. I've been visiting it with out of town relatives since the mid 1960's but I'm not aware of any recent construction.

You could walk there from Rosslyn Metro station, you can get a general idea of the walk from this map:

stationmasters.com/System_Map/…rosslyns.html

(Look at the very bottom of the map for the reference for the memorial)

I've never walked to it, it may actually be closer to the Arlington Cemetery station but I'm sure someone more local can advise.

I wouldn't worry about visiting in the late afternoon or early evening, I'm assuming you're not going to be taking a walk around the place at 10:00 at night!

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

I've walked there many a summer evening from the Rosslyn Metro Station (the path from Arlington Cemetery is too dangerous and unfamiliar for a tourist). It's a fairly safe walk through the evening (follow the commuters), although there are a lot of bushes and the path back to the Metro isn't well-lit at night.

Starting Memorial Day weekend, Tuesday nights is the Evening Parade - two brigades march in formation in full dress uniform, accompanied by the Marine Band and the Drill Team. It's a very impressive display of superior Marine organization and discipline - if only the Taliban could attend.

Wisconsin
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

We hiked out to the Iwo Jima last month. We took the Arlington Metro early in the morning, headed into the cemetery and asked the first policeman for directions. There is a walking/bike path off to the left, it winds thru the cemetery and seemed very safe to us. It is probably a 3/4-1 mile easy hike. There was snow fence around the memorial and a bulldozer, etc. I assume they are improving the parking/landscaping, but was still worth the visit.

Also, if you are at Arlington (and I'm not sure how long this will be there) we went into the Women's Memorial and there was a display of pictures of soldiers who have been killed in Iraq. There were notes and tokens left there from family and friends of the soldiers and this was one of the most moving parts of our trip--

austin texas
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

Thanks for input. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

Oh yeah - if you cut through the cemetery, it's much safer. I was referring to the tourists I've seen walking north on the shoulder of State Route 110, facing cars racing towards them at 60 miles an hour. On a map, it's the most direct path, but there's no barrier separating pedestrians from the highway traffic.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

I was at the memorial a week ago, and there seems to be a refurbishment going on. The memorial is surrounded by a fence so you can't get too close, maybe about six feet, and most of the grounds are being dug up. But it's still worth visiting.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iwo Jima (Marine Memorial)

If you walk to the grassy knoll just south of the statue, you'll have great vista of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, and US Capitol in near-perfect alignment. It's even more spectacular in early evening when they're all illuminated, and there's a full moon rising over the Capitol!