We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dupont Circle too far away?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
43 reviews
Dupont Circle too far away?

I'm wondering if Dupont Circle is too far away from main DC attractions (Smithsonian, Wash Mont, Lincoln Mem). I'm considering Sofitel right next to White House which is closer, but we often stay in Kimpton properties. I know there are restaurants and other things to do in Dupont Cir area. Just wondering. We're healthy adults so walking is no problem. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
1. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

Have you looked at a map? Dupont Circle is about a mile from the National Mall. So yes, very close.

As long as you are close to a metro station you can get anywhere easily.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
22 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

yeah, i looked. just wondering. map says 2.2 miles.

thanks

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

Check out a metro map. You could get the red line from Dupont Circle to Metro Center and walk a bit. Or from Farragut West catch the gold or blue to the Smithsonian stop, which is in the middle of the mall. Or continue on to other interesting stops. You will be doing a lots of walking once your on the Mall.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

Edited: 2:12 pm, June 24, 2012
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
4. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

orange or blue

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
5. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

It's not 2.2 miles away from the Mall. The Mall itself is two miles wide, so yes there are points on the Mall that would be 2.2 miles away from Dupont Circle, but if you just walk south from Dupont for a mile, you will hit the Mall.

But of course you don't have to walk. It's a very short metro ride away.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

vjpb, thanks...I was going to say 'light burnt sienna' ...but that just didn't sound right.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
7. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

I think more crayony-sounding names would make riding Metro more pleasant. We should submit the idea to them. They might just be dumb enough to go for it.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,829 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

:) ok. I'm for light burnt sienna and cerulean.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

We stayed in Dupont Circle a few weeks ago and it might be a bit of a walk to some attractions but the metro is right there. And it's a really fun neighborhood with lots of restaurants and nice side streets. Our favorite spot to stay now in DC. Would recommend this area over any other in DC and we have stayed all over. BTW we stayed at the Palomar and really liked it, we love Kimpton Hotels as well.

Edited: 8:30 pm, June 25, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
369 reviews
10. Re: Dupont Circle too far away?

People often say they're going to "the Smithsonian." The Smithsonian is an institution that administers several museums, most, but not all, of which are along the Mall. Plus there are other museums, such as the Corcoran, Philips Gallery, Holocaust Museum, Spy Museum, Newseum, etc. Distance from your hotel will vary, but Metro rail is quite good. Depending on the Mall museum you're going to first, you might take Metro to the Federal Triangle, L'Enfant Plaza, Federal Center SW or Smithsonian station.

Google Maps or Mapquest can be useful. Google Maps, at least, has an option to show distances by walking and using public transportation (e.g., walking, 1.8 miles from Dupong Circle to the American History Museum; 2.4 miles to the main Air & Space Museum). There is a Metro station, with several entrances, at Dupont Circle. You will likely have to change trains to get to your destination, but that's easy. The WMATA Web site mentioned above gives info, and I'm sure your hotel can help you.

Edited: 9:48 am, June 26, 2012