We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Topic
Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

I plan to spend a couple of days in Washington DC this summer. I would like to do some sightseeing on the hop-on bus, but I also want to stay in a hotel with restaurants (and shops?) nearby. Basically, I'd like a place convenient for sightseeing, but also nice for just strolling and eating out. (I like to just walk around, especially in the early evening)

I'm thinking Georgetown area would be good? But I'm open to any suggestions. Location is more important than price.

Help?

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

p.s. Hotel doesn't have to be right on hop-on bus route. But since I think I'd like to do this, it would be nice if hotel isn't too far. I can take a taxi to the hop-on bus route, if need be. I guess having restaurants and shops nearby would be more important.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

You know DC has a pretty good subway system, called the Metro. It's generally a much more cost-effective way of getting around compared to taxis and any "hop-on" buses (which are very very slow and inefficient, especially considering how expensive they are).

Georgetown doesn't have a Metro stop. I would suggest Dupont Circle as a neighborhood for you with tons of restaurants, shops and good transportation access.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,176 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

Dupont Circle is the place for you. And forget about the hop-on hop-off as a means of transportation. It is expensive and leads to frustration as you wait and wait for a bus with empty seats. They are all right if all you want to do is ride around, but once you get off, who knows what you will face trying to get to another stop. Use Metro and a few taxis instead. It will save you money.

4. Re: Hotel with lots of restaurants nearby, hop-on bus route?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:42 pm, June 20, 2013