We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

London, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

Is there a public car park in the Dupont Circle area we can park the rental for 1 or 2 nights?

More specifically we are staying at the Hotel Palomar which is on 2121 P Street NW. The hotel charges $48USD a night so trying to find a cheaper rate.

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

There aren't a lot of parking garages that have 24 hour access in the area. I don't know what the rules are with regard go parking overnight in a garage that closes for the night.

Some are even closed on weekends (or Sundays only) if they mainly cater to office workers.

Here is a lot about 0.7 miles away that is open 24 hours and is $22.00/day.

pmi-parking.com/garages/locationDetail.aspx…

Hopefully someone else will have another solution for you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

This is why nobody ever recommends renting a car for DC. Why do you need the car? If you need it to drive to some place after your DC visit, you should rent the car on the day you leave, not before, otherwise it's a total waste of money because you don't need the car to get around when you're in DC.

If you're coming on a weekend , there is at least some chance of finding free parking on the street. However that would involve either lots of luck or lots of searching because street parking tends to be very tight in Dupont, and even if you find a spot only leave your car there if you've read the signs VERY carefully and are 100% sure you won't be ticketed or towed.

It's still worth looking though on the chance you might save $22 a day. Otherwise, that's going to be about the market rate for daily paid parking.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

I think they are thinking of renting a car to go to Mount Vernon for a day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

Wouldn't taking a bus from the metro to Mount Vernon or even taking a cab from the King Street or Huntington metros to Mount Vernon be significantly cheaper than renting a car and paying for parking?

Not to mention, by not renting a car you avoid having to deal with driving on the other side of the road (coming from London, I presume?) in a city notorious for being difficult to drive in for visitors due to the complicated layout and traffic. Heck, it's even difficult for me at times as a local and I drive here all the time.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

Here is the thread re the Mount Vernon trip:

tripadvisor.com/…41222497

They are from Canada

London, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

We are only renting the car on days we have too. I have searched out other options and a car is our best bet for those days. If I have to pay the 48 b/c there is no other option that is fine. I just thought I would see if there were other lots. We are travelling with two seniors and two kids and by the time we get them to the metro and the bus who knows what time it would be and I don't want to toss my MIL in the Potomac because she is slowing us all up!

We are from London Ontario so same side of the road.

I will look into the above lot and see what the rules are about parking overnight.

Thanks !

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

You don't have to wait for the bus, you can take a taxi from the metro to Mount Vernon and still save money compared to renting a car. I really don't get the point of renting the car for such a short drive. Mount Vernon is an under 20 minute ride from the King Street metro station and I think it would be easy to catch a cab there.

Even if you are used to driving on the same side of the street, DC is a particularly not fun city for unfamiliar visitors to try to drive in. Don't underestimate that.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

Okay, that would be an option worth considering.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

Matt B has a good point, and I believe it was suggested on the other thread too, but another option if you really want to rent a car is just to rent one for one day - pick up in the morning at Union Station and return it to the same place that afternoon.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to Park In Dupont Circle?

RCMommy,

I happened to read your other thread about going to Mount Vernon and then read this most recent post. We are staying at the Palomar next weekend (we live about 1 1/2 hours outside of DC and for a lot of good reasons will drive in and park our car.) I have looked high and low for a cheaper parking garage near the hotel (this is what we have done when staying at other hotels in DC) but unfortunately in this particular area there are no other choices. The garage posted above to me isn't worth the hassle because of the distance from the hotel. Personally, I think going with the hotel valet parking will be a lot less frustrating.

In response to your dilemma in going to Mount Vernon, I actually think the rental car isn't a bad option, especially since you have some older folks in your party that may not be able to deal well with the metro/bus, tour bus, etc. There is a fair bit of walking involved at Mt. Vernon so if you can just get in your car in the morning and drive right to Mt Vernon, that seems like an easier day for your familiy. (Since you have 6 people in your party, if you took a cab, that would mean taking two cabs.) It's a very nice drive once you are out of DC, but yesm it can be a bit tricky getting out of the city and onto the Mt Vernon highway, so be sure and get good directions. If you can drive out on a Sat or Sun morning, it will be a lot easier. I'm sure the staff at the Palomar will be happy to help you. BTW, I hear the new vistors center at Mt Vernon is very nice!

Edited: 3:54 pm, May 31, 2012