We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC - Adams Morgan

washington dc
2 posts
Save Topic
Washington DC - Adams Morgan

I just moved to the DC area and am in the process of apartment hunting. I found an awesome place right on 18th St. in Adams Morgan. The area looks fun but what's it like when the sun goes down? Is it extremely noisy and filled with excessive drunks, is it reasonably safe? I'd appreciate any words of wisom from those that live there or are familiar with the area.

Mentioned in this post
Adams Morgan
Adams Morgan
115 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,183 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC - Adams Morgan

Depends on the block! By and large, A-M is pretty safe, all things considered. Residents complain all the time about parking, but what else is new?

Best thing to do is to check out the surroundings in the evening, to get a feel for it as you would come home from work - distance from the Metro or bus stop, local denizens, safety factors, etc.

Oklahoma City...
Destination Expert
for Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC - Adams Morgan

I went there twice during my stay in DC - both times at night. Pretty busy on weekends (Saturday night,) but it didn't seem noisy to me. On the weeknight I was there is was pretty quiet. Also, this was on a street that was lined with restaurants and bars.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC - Adams Morgan

Adams Morgan on a weekend night is filled with excessive drunks, some vermin and many revelers.

I would caution against having a car here, but if you want to be near the party, Adams Morgan is probably the best place in the city to go.

If you are interested in a colorful and vibrant place to live this is one, but I would caution you that the vibrancy may turn to a glaring clash of colors when you can't find parking, find drunk partiers on your steps, or step on a piece of discarded jumbo pizza at 5 AM.

(and yeah, i'd move there if I could afford it...)

Mentioned in this post
Adams Morgan
Adams Morgan
115 Reviews
Washington DC, DC