We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Union Station to Renaissance

San Francisco
8 posts
Save Topic
Union Station to Renaissance

It looks like 8 to 10 blocks to get from Union Station to the Renaissance Hotel. We will be coming in by Amtrak at night. Would appreciate advice about the best route to walk this distance if we want to do it on foot. By best I mean safest for pedestrians at 11 pm on a weeknight. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Honestly, I wouldn't walk it at 11pm on a weeknight. The neighborhood is relatively safe, but at that time of night there will not be many people out and about around there. Take a cab from Union Station.

San Francisco
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Hi Mr. Ted - I probably should have mentioned that cabs are not a great option for one of my co-travellers who uses an electric wheelchair. It is often less hassle to walk than to find a cab able and willing to load the chair. What's your advice on the metro? Safe and more people at that hour? Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Metro is safe and very disabled-friendly. All stations have elevators. I would recommend looking at Metro's webpage--www.wmata.com--especially close to your arrival date. The webpage would tell you if an elevator is out of order at a particular station.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

WMATA has a MetroAccess service that uses wheelchair-accessible vans and mini-buses, but you need to request one 24 hours in advance and based on recent press coverage, they aren't all that reliable. You wouldn't want to be stranded in front of Union Station at midnight wondering where's your MetroAccess ride, when an elevator to the Metro is just a few yards away, and the Renaissance a few stops further.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Just walk up mass Ave the relatively short distance from Union Station. Much cheaper/easier than the other options mentioned here. By the time you do these other options, you coulda just walked the 1/2 mile (or less, probably 10-15 minutes) to the hotel. Its a well lit, safe main street - you shouldnt have any problems.

San Francisco
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

It's wonderful to have local advice. Thanks very much.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Listen to SueFee and DrWong -- Metro's Red Line will take you from Union Station to Farragut North, whereby you can exit and be within steps of the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel. Caveat: if your Amtrak is late (very possible), you may want to call a cab capable of & willing to transport you and your friend (Metro doesn't run ALL night). Have with you some phone numbers of cab companies in case you get in a bind and have to make the call.

And no, you cannot walk from Union Station to the Renaissance in "10-15 minutes" -- no way, no how. It's 2 miles of city streets and traffic lights. Sorry, moog.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

Agree with those that suggest you Metro.

The Renaissance at 999 Ninth St NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia 20001 is 1.29 miles from Union Station (according to MapQuest). An average person takes about 20 minutes to walk at a reasonable pace one mile. If you walk at a regular pace then it will take you about 30 minutes. This does not account for waiting for lights etc. Also, it does not account for lugging around your carry ons/luggage.

If you are at the Renaissance Mayflower at 1127 Connecticut Ave. NW, Washington DC, District of Columbia 20036 then it is even further at 2.39 miles (according to MapQuest)

Regardless of where you are staying take metro.

Take Metro!!!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

It's 2 miles of city streets and traffic lights. Sorry, moog.

--

Its a mile...not 2. And it take 20 minutes to walk a mile. And if they take the metro at 11-12 pm they could wait 10-15 minutes just to get a train, not to mention the time to get a tickets, down to the station, up at the other station and 2-3 blocks to walk from there. Its a matter of time, not "mileage"...I'd just get off the train and walk, but hey, either will work....

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Union Station to Renaissance

I wouldn't recommend the walk, especially at that time of night and the possibility of gettting lost and ending up too close to one of the soup kitchens or homeless shelters. Not all of the corners have curb ramps for your luggage, plus toting large suitcases through some of those neighborhoods is as good as spray-painting "TOURIST" across your forehead in day-glo colors.

I've walked the distance when I've missed the last Metro train, and I wouldn't recommend it for out of towners.