We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes

I am thinking of using this for a week long trip to DC. I want to drive up one morning, at a metro station, go drop off luggage at the hotel (pre arranged) and then hit our WH tour at 1:30.

Has anyone done this? Is your car safe? What time should we arrive at the Southern stations?

Thanks in advance!

Spaces are available for overnight parking only at Greenbelt, Huntington, and Franconia-Springfield!

15 to 17 spaces are available at each location for up to 10 days on a first-come, first-served basis.

Regular Metro parking fee ($4.75) is charged to a SmarTrip card on the day of exit (free on weekends).

DESIGNATED LONG TERM SPACES:

Franconia-Springfield station - Level 1J

Huntington - Lower level of the new station garage

Greenbelt - Cherrywood Lane side

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,329 posts
51 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

"Southern station"?

If you do manage to park your car for a week at one of the few places Metro provides, be sure to leave NOTHING visible in your car, including the ring left where you stick a GPS. Car break-ins do happen, though I don't think those 3 stations are on the high-crime list.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
5 reviews
3 helpful votes
2. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

The actual rule is: No one may park in a lot or garage (don't even think about the metered spaces; they must be fed) for more than 24 hours except in the few spaces you mentioned in your question.

In truth, they only check overnight at about 1:30 AM on the following days: Tuesday night (i.e. Wednesday at 0130) - Friday night (i.e. Saturday at 0330). This is because the parking garage attendants are there to oversee money collection only on Monday-Friday nights. And they have to see your car in the same space with a chalk mark on two overnights in a row.

So the only times they give tickets are Tuesday night - Friday night (i.e. Wednesday 0130 - Saturday 0330). I should mention that the Metro is open until 0300 on Friday and Saturday nights. They only check overnight because that is when they only have to write down a few license plates and put a few chalk marks (or it may be tiny little rubber circles) on the tires.

You don't say what day you arrive. If you arrive on a Friday, you don't have to move your car around the lot until Tuesday evening. Then you need to move it (just inside the garage or lot, you don't actually have to leave) every day until Saturday morning. So if you pick a station that is not too far away, like E. Falls Church (Orange) , or Anacostia (Green) (which, however sometimes has breakins), or even Rhode Island Avenue's (Red) new garage (very close to downtown), you won't have too much to worry about.

Every person I know who has gotten an overnight ticket (when they have gone away for a week) has gotten it on Tuesday night, if they put it there starting on a weekend.

Edited: 2:33 pm, March 22, 2012
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

I will be arriving on Saturday and staying through Friday, so I really need the long-term parking at the metro station.

I thought this may be a decent idea versus paying $35 per day at our hotel, but of course I want to be pretty sure that our car is safe and drivable when we return.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
4. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

That is not something I would do

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,845 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

I think the chance you can find a spot at those few spaces will be very slim. Franconia has 5,000 spaces and less than 20 of those spots. Since they are for multi days, the turnover is less.

I personally would not feel comfortable knowing my car will be one of the only few in a hugh parking, and everyone knows the owner may not return for a few days.

It really depends on your risk tolerance level.

6. Re: Long Term Parking at Metro Stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, June 20, 2013