We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay

ct
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay

we are traveling to dc in april...i am looking for a moderate priced hotel. does anyone have any suggestions regarding the holiday inn capitol, the state plaza hotel or the lincoln suites?? we are a family of 5. thanks location is key.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol. It is okay, but probably not in the best location to base a tour of DC. There are not a lot of restaurants or things to do in the evening. It is mainly surrounded by government office buildings, so there is not a lot of activity after the workers go home. It is close to the metro and close to the Air and Space Museum.

I don't know where the other hotels you listed are located. I think an address in Northwest DC is better for evening dining and just getting around.

ct
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay

Do you have any other suggestions as to where to stay?? The problem is that we will be there during the busy season and rates are high. Any suggestions??

toronto
Level Contributor
85 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay

I did research on centrally located hotels near a metro at reasonable rates for February and came up with two. Courtyard Marriott by Convention centre, and the Rennaisance nnear Chinatown. The rates were $109-$139. I don't know what they'll be like for April.

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
432 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay

I must, in a friendly way, disagree with ���przyk in Milwaukee.��� I���ve lived here for almost eight years, six of them in DC itself, and have found that particular Holiday Inn (550 C Street SW) to be a fine choice for family and friends. It is true that the neighborhood is mostly office space, completely lacking in any sit-down restaurants of note. However, it is safe and highly convenient for the major museums, the Capitol, the National Mall, and the major monuments. With the exception of outlying attractions (Mount Vernon, Bull Run Battlefield, etc.), you can park your car and forget about it. The Metrorail system (the local subway) can take you to areas with plenty of restaurants, from Pentagon City to Friendship Heights, so dinner won���t be a problem. After all, what does a family of five want to do at night? Unless you're into certain bar scenes, the city is quieter after business hours. I always recommend visitors spend their day seeing ���the sights,��� since the Smithsonians close at 5:30, except for the Zoo, which is a bit later (the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials stay open very late and are spectacular at night). Afterwards, when your appetite is revved-up, take the Metro to a good restaurant area, then return to the hotel at your leisure. Repeat each day as desired. Enjoy your visit ��� you���ll never run out of things to see here!

ct
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay

thanks for the all the info...keep it coming

we're having a hard time deciding on a location

kids are 7, 3 and 7 mths...not doing much at night

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay

I did not mean to imply that the Holiday Inn was in an unsafe area. You certainly can take the metro to any number of areas for dinner and get back to the hotel, or possibly even walk across the mall. I just think the Foggy Bottom or Dupont Circle areas offer more opportunities to walk to dinner and maybe just roam around after. Holiday In is doable, but if other hotels were comparably priced I would choose a different location.

Mentioned in this post
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,510 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
ct
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay

The Lincoln suites is 1823 L st NW and the State Plaza is 2117 E ST. NW. I was also looking at the Residence Inn that was mentioned earlier (new one near Capitol).

I guess I was thinking about the Holiday Inn so that we could walk to the Mall and Museums.

Thanks for the opinions and info.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay

I like the location of the Lincoln Suites, but again that would be more for the restaurants, shopping and other activities around the hotel. If your first consideration is being close to the tourist sites the Holiday Inn would do. I don't think there would be as much around the State Plaza either, although there you would be close to the Mall by the Lincoln and Viet Nam memorials, but that location would be a little farther from the metro.

The Holiday Inn also offers a breakfast buffet (I think it's everyday, maybe just weekends). They also have a small snack bar area where you can get breakfast sandwiches, bagels and coffee, etc.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay

The State Plaza Hotel is on F street near George Washington University. The front entrance is across the street from a park that is a home base to many homeless people in the area. Although it is close to the mall, there are not many things to do in the area as the Red Cross National offices, the State Department and World Bank are all close by. Depending on time of year, parts of F street by 21st Street maybe closed down due to World Bank meetings.

The State Plaza rooms are large, with a kithen area, but it is basically one big room. There are alot of resturants in this area, but it is basically a college crowd, which can be noisy at night.

I have a daughter at GW and a younger son. We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites 1250 22nd street because it is 2 rooms and my son can fall asleep in the bedroom while my husband & I stay up later. They also have a small pool, free buffet breakfast with cooked to order omlettes, cereals, etc. I am still trying to find other suite hotels in the area with a separate bedroom.

Have fun on your trip.

Mentioned in this post
State Plaza Hotel
State Plaza Hotel
1,840 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,352 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay

I have stayed at the Embassy Suites several times and agree it is a great location. Rates can sometimes be quite high.

There is a Best Western New Hampshire Suites in the area. I stayed there several years ago, but can't remember if they have separate bedrooms or studio suites. There is also the Washington Circle Inn (?), I think that's the name that has suites.