We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking tickets

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Parking tickets

I am from DC and I would suggest anyone and everyone coming to DC to either catch a taxi around town or catch the subway (Metro) or park your car/van in a parking garage in Downtown DC. I say this because the DC government is balancing their budget off giving out parking tickets and making millions of dollars off of parking tickets. So don't spoil your vacation and get a very expensive parking ticket from the DC government. Enjoy your stay in my city!!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,739 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking tickets

If people didn't disobey the parking rules, the DC Government would not be able to write any legitimate tickets. Just a thought.

DC
Level Contributor
2,027 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking tickets

One thing the DC government has always been good at is parking tickets. Yesterday there were at least $1,000 worth within a couple of blocks of the zoo (@ $100 a pop) and I don't know how many had been towed. The rules are well posted, but some folks either don't like to read or think the rules aren't enforced.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking tickets

Can anyone think of other cities that have the audacity to issue parking tickets for letting your meter expire or for violating other posted rules such as those designed to keep traffic flowing at rush hours? I certainly can't. It's a disgrace!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking tickets

What is the more likely explanation for why DC gets so much more parking ticket revenue than other cities: that the drivers here disobey parking rules more than other cities, or that the city government is much more aggressive than other cities about enforcement?

The first explanation doesn't work for me. I don't think drivers here are that much different than drivers anywhere, especially considering the fact that we have people from all over the country here. The second explanation makes more sense.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking tickets

Just go less than 10 miles over the speed limit when you see a "Photo Enforced" sign, and you will never have a problem! In fact, just go less than 10 miles above the speed limit, and you'll nearly always be okay.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking tickets

I tend to downplay sensationalist criticisms about D.C., but this one I agree with. I've driven in may cities around the country and can't think of any, including New York, that make it harder to determine whether your car is legally parked and/or whether a meter needs to be fed in the evening.

It isn't that parking is more restrictive in D.C., it's that the posts with three to five different signs governing times when parking are OK are easily misunderstood, particularly to those who don't know the city. It isn't always obvious that you must make your judgment by whichever sign is most restrictive. In terms of "feeding the meter," meters are largely disappearing around town, and being replaced by pay-to-park boxes. On those boxes, the time thresholds for when one must pay and when must not are often buried in the fine print.

Case in point, my wife got a ticket because the box said "2 hour parking, 9 AM-6:30 PM." so she fed the meter to 6:30. What she didn't see was the fine print which read further down "no limit other times, enforced to 10:30 PM." At 6:38 -- 8 minutes after the two hour limit expired, and 2 minutes after her parking receipt expired, she was awarded with a $25 ticket. Was the ticket lawful? Yes. Did they do a poor job making the parking rules understandable? Yes.

I am absolutely convinced that D.C. knows its parking rules are complex, and that it counts on its right to ticket confused people to patch their budget.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,739 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking tickets

DC is always blocked from getting any sort of commuter tax from the thousands of people who drive in every day, so the tickets may be a way of compensating. But some people just ignore the rules, even when they understand them, and then complain when they get a ticket.

I do feel sorry for out-of-town visitors who aren't used to aggressive ticket writing. But I always discourage people from even trying to park on the street if they are a visitor. Those in the area, who presumably read the local newspapers and see the local TV stories, should know better what they face when they park on the street in DC.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,004 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking tickets

Whoops, I thought this was the speed camera complain. Never mind about what I wrote...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking tickets

I guess it's up to everyone to exercise their own standards of due diligence. I tend to read up on street parking regs in advance when visiting another city. If I get an easily-obtained street parking space that seems too good to be true--I walk the length of the block to make sure I fully understand the signs and regulations. Have never had a problem doing this in DC or anywhere. Go figure.

The ONLY thing I'd consider documentably sleazy about DC parking are the new computerized multi-meters that are smart enough to know that it's Sunday when metered parking is free in most areas-but they're still operational at those times when they should be automatically shut down.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking tickets

The problem with parking in DC is the parking signs are hard to understand. I have a college degree and I had to have a police translate the parking signs for me. Parking signs have three different sayings and times posted and all mean a different thing.

BEWARE and PLEASE READ the SIGN correctly!!!!!!!! Trust me you will GET A nice welcome to Wash. DC ticket of $40 Plus and it doubles in 30 days if you don't pay.