We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

south africa
8 posts
Save Topic
any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

HI everyone

After much searching for a hotel room - i got , via priceline , the hyatt regency in crstal springs - and after reading the reviews I am quite petrified of going there - so any ideas on what to do whilst i am there for 1 April - 4 April? Something easy to get to please and not expensive ( im a poor south african tourist who has never been to the US). Also how should i pack - can someone please give me temperatures in degrees celsius - I have no idea how farenheit works and am clueless as to whats suitable to wear. Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

Assuming you're at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City (Arlington, Virginia), expect high temperatures around 60F (16C) and low temperatures around 42F (6C).

Read the Washington DC attractions link appearing on the left side of this page to see what interests you. Most of the museums and many of the other attractions in Washington are free of admission charges.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

Miss SA --

I live right down the street from this hotel and it is a good location. This is a safe location. You are about a 10 minute walk to Metro.

There are LOTS of restaurants within walking distance. Some suggestions on some "cheaper eats"..

1. Crystal City Sports Pub - on 23rd Street. Monday's are half price burgers. Appetizers are half price M - F from 5-7. Even if you can't make the specials, the food is good and not too expensive.

2. McCormick and Schmicks - Happy Hour menu in the bar. If you buy two drinks (alcoholic drinks) you can get the happy hour menu. The happy menu contains things like Hamburger and fries, calamari, steamed clams and everything is $2.

3. There are also lots of food court type restaurants in the Crystal City Underground. However, the Underground restaurants are only open Monday - Friday until about 5-6 pm.

Regarding packing, I would suggest you pack things you can layer. Also, bring comfortable walking shoes.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

Hi Miss SA!

You'll be in the DC area during the Cherry Blossom Festival, which is probably the most beautiful time of year here. There are numerous events going on every day--take a look at www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org--they have a calendar you can search that will tell you everything that is going on each day. From your hotel in Crystal City, you can easily get to downtown DC on the Yellow or Blue metro lines.

According to the National Park Service, the blooming period for the cherry blossom trees (which are mostly located in DC around the Tidal Basin) should be from March 24-April 5. You may not see the peak bloom, but I'd still recommend checking it out. Although there will be a million tourists doing the same thing, it's still worth it to take a look!

south africa
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: any ideas on what to do and what to wear?

thanks so much guys

washington - here i come :)