We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ethiopian Restaurants

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orange County, CA
10 posts
Save Topic
Ethiopian Restaurants

Being of Ethiopian heritage, we are looking forward to sampling some of the best Ethiopian food in the country in DC. Any suggestions on a restaurant to try/avoid? Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,142 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ethiopian Restaurants

This has been discussed in another thread in this forum--"Best Ethiopian Food" started on 12/23/05.

Here is a short list:

Dukem--1114-1118 U St.,NW (www.dukemrestaurant.com)

Meskerem--2434 18th St., NW (www.meskeremonline.com)

Zed's--1201 28th St., NW (www.zeds.net)

Etete--1942 9th St., NW (this one made Washingtonian Magazine's annual list of the 100 best restaurants in the DC Metro area)

Do take a look at the other thread I mentioned. It has a lot more info in it.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ethiopian Restaurants

go to www.washingtonian.com and click on Restaurants. you can search there for cuisine and area.

Va
Level Contributor
10,835 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ethiopian Restaurants

There is a very large Ethiopian community in the DC area and lots of places to try. Dukem is good, but the service is horrible. Meskerem is very good. I would suggest it. I have gone there several times with an Ethiopian friend and service and food have always been good. If you speak Amharic, you will most likely find parking to be free in DC. My friend never pays for parking since most of the parking garages are operated by Ethiopians.