We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tripadvisor
Washington DC

Is there a "low season"?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
Is there a "low season"?
Save

I am thinking no, but was still wondering about mid March.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
134 reviews
357 helpful votes
1. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

For hotels that offer seasonal rates, the cheapest time to book is from January 1st through February 29th.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
360 reviews
296 helpful votes
2. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

DC is a little different from most tourist destinations, in that there is a lot of business that goes on here - both the business of business and the business of government - so there is almost always some activity going on. Clearly, for tourists, the summer months are the busiest time, and hotel rates are generally higher in the summer, but even in the winter, there are constantly major conventions, meetings, conferences, etc., which can, during any given week, make the city pretty busy and drive up hotel rates. As noted by SueFee above, if I were going to guess about which time of year was the slowest, I would agree that the first two months of the year are the likely winners. Early March may also be considered "low season," but mid-to-late March is the beginning of the Cherry Blossom season, which is definitely one of the high seasons in DC.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
360 reviews
296 helpful votes
3. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

I will also add that August - particularly mid-to-late August - is generally slower, and the weather will be warmer. Most of the tourists are back at home by then, getting the kids ready for school, and Congress always takes a 1 month recess starting in early August through Labor Day, so that is generally a time when Hill staff, lobbyists and a lot of federal employees take vacations, so there isn't generally much going on around town then. You can sometimes find good hotel rates during that time. But again, if some group decides to take advantage of that slow period and have a major convention or conference here, that could change everything. I will note, however, that since this is an election year, both political parties' conventions are the last week of August/first week of September (and they are not held in DC) so a lot of people who might otherwise be in town or coming to town will likely be elsewhere at those conventions those two weeks.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
29 reviews
12 helpful votes
4. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

Good points have been by the earlier posts. This is why "exact dates" are needed for hotel inquiries.

I may also add that weekends are often cheaper, because people who come here for business usually come during the week. In March and April, however, weekend rates are pushed up by significant increases in tourists who come here for the Cherry Blossom festival.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
13,732 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

Surprising, late September through November until Thanksgiving are good months for visiting because of the lack of crowds. Mid-march (when the spring breaks start) is the beginning of high school tour buses visiting, and that's when things get crowded. But January through March 10 or so are also slow times.

Are you asking to avoid crowds or to get less expensive rates? I'd pick a hotel and check the rate for various weeks in March and April to find the best week, if you have a choice.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
69,296 posts
49 reviews
109 helpful votes
6. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

July 4th can be surprisnigly affordable. You wouldn't necessarily think of it as an inexpensive time, given the large crowds at the various events. But I thnk a lot of the crowd might be locals.

I've had really good luck staying downtown, within walking distance to the fireworks, for very reasonable rates. ($109 at the Capitol Hyatt is one example).

With July 4th falling in the middle of the week this year, very few business travelers will be on the road that week. You might be surprised at the prices.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
97 reviews
155 helpful votes
7. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

"late September through November until Thanksgiving are good months for visiting because of the lack of crowds."

Yes, but the problem is that these months are full of conferences that drive hotel prices to $500+ per night that can go for $100 in other times of the year.

I agree with IrishFan - July 4 is a good time to come, as is most of July and August. Hotel Prices can be very low, but the weather can be brutal...

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,566 posts
58 reviews
34 helpful votes
8. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

I am pretty low whenever congress is in session.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
177 reviews
85 helpful votes
9. Re: Is there a "low season"?
Save

arlingtonman1,

Glad to hear that about the 4th of July. I think we will be making our first trip there then. I read that the mall area will be chaotic, but I think it would be cool to see!!

10. Re: Is there a "low season"?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, May 20, 2013