We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
357 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Planning a six night stay in DC in June, arriving Sunday, leaving Saturday. Have reserved a VBRO just east of the Capitol building. Will have a car that we need to park overnight for the duration of our stay. Have checked BestParking.com and a few other sites, but can't find info on the area. VBRO owner says there's a public lot four blocks away for a daily rate of $13/day. Anyone familiar with a lot like that in the area? Would we be better off leaving the car at Union Station for $19/day? Other options? thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,029 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Do you have the cross streets where you will be staying? That is helpful in answering questions.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

We would need an approximate address to help you out. "Just East" of the Capitol means nothing to us...we need something like "around 6th and A" to help us out, as we have no clue where you're taking about.

Arlingtonman13

Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Sorry Arlington man ... I didn't know exactly where it was either! The owner hadn't sent us an address yet, so we were looking at a little itty bitty map on VRBO that showed it just east of the Capitol building. So I contacted him and got some additional info ... the lot is at 6th and Pennsylvania behind Citibank. Safe place to park our car all week?

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,619 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

I'm not sure I understand the question.... if you think the neighborhood is safe enough to stay in, why would it not be safe enough to park your car in?

As a resident of the neighborhood I can assure you it is safe. Just don't leave any visible goods in your car as a precaution.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

The area is a nice area, but a parking lot is still a parking lot, even in a nice area. Agree that, wherever you park, you still need to use good judgment and not leave valuables in the car. That parking lot, operated by Colonial Parking, has both covered underground parking and surface parking. I'm not sure of the rates, but I would be surprised if $13/day would get you the covered parking, which would be more secure. Wherever you park, you might want to double-check to make sure that you have in-and-out privileges, rather than having to pay every time you leave and come back. Assuming that none of those items are an issue, and assuming that you have the option to park underground for a slightly higher fee, I'd choose the underground. Either option would, however, beat parking at Union Station, which is about a mile away, and a traffic nightmare, especially during the summer tourist season.

You might want to contact them and make sure they will have availability. Some lots fill up. You might even talk them into giving you a weekly rate, which could save you a buck or two. Their headquarters phone # is 202.295.8100, and the lot in question is #660 at 600 Pennsylvania Ave SE.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,029 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Thanks, Spyderwood. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. It's one thing to stay in an area, and another to leave a car with out-of-area plates parked in an open lot for a week that we won't be walking anywhere near. Your input is much appreciated. I may take a look around and see if I can find other options nearby.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Very good post, Spyderwood. Thumbs up to that helpful response!

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Thanks for the kind response. One other thing - I couldn't really tell from your original post whether you plan to simply park the car upon arrival and leave it for the week, or if you are planning to use it to see the sights. Your last post would seem to indicate that you plan to leave it in place, which is wise, since within DC, you probably won't want to use your car, as parking is rarely available where you will want to be, and if it is available, it is expensive. Better to walk, Metro or taxi. For the more far-flung locations, such as Mount Vernon, it will be an asset.

That said, if you won't be needing to do a lot of back-and-forth to the car during the week, you might want to go ahead and park it at Union Station, as that will be one of the more reasonably-priced locations for covered parking. Reagan National Airport has $12 economy lot and $20 covered lot parking. The economy lot is outdoors. Both the airport and Union Station have ready Metro access, so once you are parked, it wouldn't be that difficult to get back to your rental which, based upon your previous info, should be near either Eastern Market or Capitol South Metro stations. Union Station will be closer, but by Metro, will likely take about the same time as the airport, since at the airport, you can get on the blue line and go all the way to Eastern Market. From Union Station, you will need to take the red line to Metro Center, then switch to the blue or orange lines to get to Eastern Market.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,029 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
458 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Indiana
Level Contributor
259 posts
357 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

Yep, Spyderwood. We plan to park it and leave it ... hitting Mount Vernon on last day, so we start the drive home after that. So we're just looking for an inexpensive, safe place to park for seven days while in DC. We plan to walk and use public transportation and shouldn't need to access the car throughout the week. So I might look into the Union Station option. The rental closest to the Eastern Market station. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
2,029 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Eastern Market
Eastern Market
458 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
10. Re: Parking in Capitol Hill neighborhood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 15, 2013