We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

I'm thinking of taking my troop to visit the Basilica of the Immaculate Conception. Is it close to a Metro stop? How long would it take to get there from downton Washington? Are there any restaurants close by? Thanks for any help!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

It is very close to the Metro stop for Brookland/Catholic University, which is about a 10 minute ride on the Red Line from downtown (Metro Center). I'm not sure about restaurants in the area, but you can always hop off the Metro at Union Station, which is on the way, and grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants or vendors in the food court.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,109 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

There really aren't any places to eat in the immediate area. There used to be a cafeteria in the lower level, not sure if it's still there.

Check their website at nationalshrine.com which will probably have directions for you as well.

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

For kids, eating at the food court in Union Station may be the best bet, but isn't Colonel Brooks' Tavern just a few blocks from the National Shrine?

Cascade, Iowa
Level Contributor
425 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

There is a cafeteria in the lower level of the Basilica right by the gift shop. We were just there in January and ate breakfast there before doing the tour. It is a beautiful place!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

Thanks for the input. I'll put it on the list of things for the girls to decide upon. How is the neighborhood around the Basillica/ University? Is it safe to walk in?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,109 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Basilica of the Immaculate Conception

It's mainly residential. You'll be fine in the daytime. Personally I wouldn't put it on my list for night time wanderings with a scout troop, but if you're just getting off the Metro and walking to the Shrine and back in the daytime you're unlikely to have any problems.