We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Business Trip with free time

Riverview, Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Business Trip with free time

My partner will be in DC from 3/12 until 3/15 attending a conference. Flying to Reagan, staying at a B&B in Dupont Circle with the conference being held at Capitol Hilton.

Looking for some input on transportation to/from airport, dining options and what to do with the evening hours and some free time on the last day. Options needs to be frugal, as this is for a non-profit.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,512 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Business Trip with free time

Should be really easy to take Metro to Dupont Circle right from airport. Frugal...Hmmm. I could spend hours in the late afternoon and evening walking the monuments. Union Station is neat to walk thru. Capitol City Brewery is next door and has good brew pub food and microbrew beer. All the Smithsonian Museums are free and they could keep you busy for a week solid.

Mentioned in this post
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,512 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Union Station
Union Station
466 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Business Trip with free time

Yes, Metro is the cheapest way to travel from the airport. Check out their webpage---www.wmata.com. Also, there are lots of taxis around. As for dining options, there are lots of good, cheap eats around. Do you have any food preferences?

Riverview, Michigan
Level Contributor
126 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Business Trip with free time

Great news on the public transporation, especially coming from an area where PT is pretty bad. It's nice to *not* have to get in a car and drive somewhere.

As far as food, almost anything goes, except green peppers and mushrooms....

Level Contributor
503 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Business Trip with free time

Dupont Circle is also a very fun place just to window shop and people watch. Pizzeria Paradiso (near 20th and P) is a good place for frugal dining. Teaism is good too. Thaiphoon is a reasonably priced reliable chain. And Bistrot du Coin is great and can be fairly inexpensive if you get, say, a small order of mussels and a salad.

For hitting the museums, your partner may want to take along some snacks (swiped from the conference, perhaps?) as the options on the mall are few and pricey.

Mentioned in this post
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,512 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
DC
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Business Trip with free time

even though the museums are free to enter, museum food is expensive! don't get caught hungry at the museum or they will get you. if you are around the Smithsonian museums on a weekday, L'Enfant plaza is close and they have some cheap deli's and sandwich shops. the shops are closed on weekends.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Business Trip with free time

Dupont Circle is a quick ride on the yellow line, with a transfer onto the red line at gallery place/chinatown from the airport. My favorite free thing to do at night is to walk down among the monuments, they're so pretty all lit up.

You can take the metro down to the Smithsonian stop and you'll basically be next to the museums and a 10 minute walk from the Lincoln Memorial (with WWII, Vietnam, Korean, and FDR all along the way).

Also, you can catch the Georgetown connection shuttle (blue) from Dupont to Georgetown for just a dollar and there's lots of shopping and people watching there.

Unfortunately you're a bit early for cherry blossoms but I'm sure you'll have a fun time anyway :)

Mentioned in this post
The Dupont Circle
The Dupont Circle
3,512 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,222 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Business Trip with free time

Another affordable dining option south of Dupont on Connecticut is Luna Diner and Grill. If you're not planning on touristy activities in the evening, I'd recommend a beer at the Big Hunt or pool at Buffalo Billiards. Of course, it depends on where your interests lie and what kind of crowd you're looking for... I'd say both of those places cater to the 20s-30s age group.

Mentioned in this post
Connecticut
Connecticut
United States
Big Hunt
Big Hunt
58 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Buffalo Billiards
Buffalo Billiards
49 Reviews
Washington DC, DC