We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

I'm deciding between this 2 hotels. I'm staying for 5 nights and the main purpose of the trip is to visit Washington DC. Both hotels include breakfast. Apart from the location the Hotel Rouge offers me a bigger room but costs 20 USD more. The Palomar has great reviews so that's the reason of why I'm considering it.

Which one should I choose??

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Both are good choices. However, I find the location for the Palomar to be better - it's much closer to metro (<5 minute walk instead of 10). Both are close to good restaurants & bars, but again I'd give a slight edge to Palomar.

As a local, that'd be my choice.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

I'm not sure monkeybizness is thinking about the Arlington Palomar. It isn't that close to many restaurants, but it is a bit closer to a Metro station than the Rouge. The big difference is that the Palomar is in Virginia while the Rouge is in DC. I suspect the Palomar is a nicer hotel overall. And it has some great views of DC and Georgetown. But it is not within walking distance of the usual tourist sights. But I have heard that the Rouge has thin-walled rooms. The Palomar is not in a bad location, but you will need to take Metro or a taxi to do almost anything. Not a really easy choice. It all depends on what is important to you.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Right now I have 3 options

Topaz for 1050 USD

Rouge for 1150 USD

Palomar Arlington 1050

Apparently the Topaz is the best one but any recommendations??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Topaz is in the overall best location. Close to two Metro stations and all that Dupont Circle has to offer. And within walking distance of the White House.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

But is Topaz a 4 star hotel??

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Only 3.5 on TripAdvisor. So what?

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g28970-d84047-R…

Edited: 5:49 pm, June 22, 2011
washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Darrell is right - I didn't see the "Arlington" part. In that case, I'd actually choose either Rouge or Topaz without question over Palomar...with a preference for Topaz.

As for whether they are "4 Star" hotels - whose definition of 4 star are we talking about? TA's? Personally, when I think of a 4-star hotel, I think we're into the W, the Willard, the Hay Adams, St Regis. The Kimpton hotels are excellent, but I think I'd have a hard time truly calling them 5 star. 3-3.5 in my book.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

What about the Fairfax Hotel at the Embassy Row? Is the location good?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

Yes, the location of the Westin Fairfax is good. It is a historic property and close to Metro. On a somewhat busy street across from one of the biggest houses in DC< now the Indonesian Embassy.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Palomar Arlington vs Hotel Rouge Washington DC

The Fairfax is actually less than a block from the DC Palomar, so my original comments would apply in that case. That's probably the best choice you've mentioned so far.