We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interactive museums?

Boston...
Level Contributor
30 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Interactive museums?

We're spending three days in DC next week with a very active 6 year old. Which of the museums (especially the free ones) have good interactive exhibits? I remember loving the air and space museum, but it's been many, many years since I've been there.

Houston
Level Contributor
245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interactive museums?

The Museum of Natural History has lots of interactive exhibits, especially the Discovery Room where kids can handle bones and other artifacts, solve puzzles and do many other activities. A 6-year-old would love it (and so would the adults).

Edited: 1:52 pm, June 21, 2011
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interactive museums?

Air and Space is still great, also American History has quite a few interactive exhibits, especially on the American Flag and on transportation. The National Archives also has many interactive displays.

PA
Destination Expert
for Hershey, Harrisburg
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interactive museums?

The last time we were in DC, my kids enjoyed the science lab at the National Museum of American History. I think it is the Spark!Lab. It was a first come, first served basis, you had to sign up in advance. Here's a link you might fiind helpful.

americanhistory.si.edu/about/faq.cfm…

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interactive museums?

The Postal Museum by Union Station was a hit when my daughter was about that age. She especially loved to drive the big mail truck.

Also, this is the last free weekend for the Building Museum - that would be a hit with any six year old.

…liveauctioneers.com/index.php/features/auct…

Edited: 4:51 pm, June 21, 2011
5. Re: Interactive museums?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 02, 2012