We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

My son (12) and I will be staying in DC for 4 days in June. Our primary target is the Smithsonian museums, but of course we would like the Capitol Hill sights as well.

We are booked at the Embassy on 10th street. Has anyone stayed there? By reading the hotel website it sounds like a perfect location - but reading tripadvisor - not so much.

Location (and cost below $300/night) are my priorities.

Is the Embassy on 10th convinient? Are there other hotels that would be equally convinient to Smithsonian and Capitol Hill?

nem
United States
Level Contributor
317 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

You might want to checkout the Marriott Residence Inn near the Air & Space museum as well. They offer a complimentary breakfast and their rooms come with kitchenettes. It is about 4 blocks from the museum and it is in the Capitol Hill & Smithsonian areas.

The Holiday Inn is another hotel that is near the Capitol Hill & Smithsonian area as well.

The Embassy Suites is a nice hotel and it is still within walking distance to Smithsonian Museums.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

Embassy Suites also gives their guests a free full breakfast everyday. IMO, the Embassy Suites by the convention center (the one you're booked at) is the most convenient of the 3 in DC as far as seeing the sights is concerned. Also, this Embassy Suites is the newest of the 3.

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

Thanks for the help. I will check out the new places, but I can be satisfied with the old one.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

You may want to check into the ES at Chevy Chase Pavilion. It is directly over a metro station...just take the elevator down and you are there! It is a bit farther out, but with the time saved in not having to walk to a station it all comes out about the same.

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

Does the metro from CHevy Chase ES easily go to all the usual sites? (no transfers at stations, regular service etc?)

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

The metro is clean, opens early and closes late - 5am until 12 midnight - later on the weekends.

You can't go wrong with the embassy suites. I've stayed at the one on 22'nd street. Of the 7 or so embassy suites I've stayed at its one of the lesser desirable ones.

A quick check of the rates for the E-Suites for 2/26 shows

10th street $270

22nd $180

Crystal city $130

Chevy Chase Pavilion $143

Old Town Alexandria $129

All are very close to metro. If price isn't a factor go with 10th street. Its closest and in a newly redone part of the city. Although Crystal city is closer, I'd probably choose Alexandria because its bigger and has alot of neat history in and around the hotel. Chevy Chase has its benefits in that its near the Zoo and REAL Foreign Embassys.

I assume you are flying in. Crystal city is where DC-Reagan/National is located and next closest is probably Alexandria which would make arrival and departure easier. Metro from both to Museums is approximately 10-15mins.

TIPS

There is ALOT of walking in DC. The busses go everywhere and a transfer off the metrorail costs .35 (otherwise 1.25) Cabs are also reasonable at ~6.00 zone fares. In otherwords its a flat fare within the area of the city you are interested in. So if you get cold or your feet are tired, just jump into a cab. DO NOT take the cab out of the city or it will cost you. You'll need to grab a transfer at your origin metrorail and show it to the bus driver.

12 years boys love the Smithsonian Air and Space museum. A year or two ago the Smithsonian opened up a huge warehouse museum with a space shuttle, concord jet and tons of other actual airplanes. This is located about 25miles out at Dulles Airport. There is a Fee shuttle bus from the Downtown Air and Space Smithsonian.

Another neat thing to see for a kid his age is the Bureau of Engraving where they make money. You'll need to check times and tickets but its located downtown near 14th street and Independence ave NW.

Another interesting exhibit is the National Aquiarium in Baltimore; however, it would be more of a day trip again because you'd need to travel to Baltimore (~35miles). There is a light rail that runs from downtown to downtown - MARC trains.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/

http://www.aqua.org/

Including the capital, white house, and smilthsonians that's probably too much for 4 days.

Enjoy your trip,

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

We are set for two days in Inner Harbor - Baltimore for the National Aquarium (et al) so no need for a day trip!

Great info. I will need to check out "esuites" I haven't heard of them.

Sf Bay Area
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embassy Suites for DC trip (open to other hotel options)

<------ putting dunce cap on

Didn't realize E-suites was just Embassy suites. :)