We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro Parking Question

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,533 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Metro Parking Question

Hi,

I'm stayng at the Courtyard Marriott in Tyson's Corner next week. I'll have a car.

According to the Metro website, the local train station has a parking lot. But it looks like I need to buy some sort of card ahead of time to pay for parking there. Is that correct? I'll only need to park there on Friday morning.

What's the easiest way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro Parking Question

You'll need to buy a SmarTrip card. There should be a vending machine that sells them at the station. If it's not working, you can buy one at Metro Center--there's a Metro store with real people within the station. This is not a good deal for one-time visitors because you have to pay $5 for the card. It's also a sore point with locals--we have to use SmarTrip to pay for parking, rather than pay in cash, because some of the employees who worked for the company Metro hired to run the parking lots were stealing money. So...Metro hired a bad vendor, and we innocent customers get to be inconvenienced. But, enough ranting. You need to let other readers know which station you are going to be parking in so they can tell you how early you need to be at the parking lot. I've heard that some of the Virginia lots fill up by 6 a.m. on weekdays.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,533 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro Parking Question

I believe I'll be at the West Falls Church station. It looks like that's the closest station to the Courtyard.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro Parking Question

Yes, the West Falls Church Metro station garage does fill up very early. It is no exaggeration to say that by 6 a.m. on weekdays it is full. However, I've noticed that the Courtyard By Marriott Tysons Corner offers free area transportation for their guests, in which case I'm sure they would gladly drop you off at the Dunn-Loring Metro station and pick you up, too. You could call the hotel directly to confirm all this.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45,533 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro Parking Question

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the update.

Dave

Sterling, VA