We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long from BWI to downtown??

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
how long from BWI to downtown??

Just wondering how long it takes to get from BWI to downtown using the following two methods. We are thinking about taking a Super Shuttle straight to our hotel, or taking the Marc train to union station and then catching a cab from there to our hotel. Our plane lands at 4:00 on a Monday and we were hoping to maybe catch the 6:00 performance at the Kennedy centre that night. I know its tight to make it either way, but wondering which mode of transport will be quicker. Thanks!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

At 4 PM on a workday you are talking major rush hour traffic. Even without traffic it will take about an hour from BWI to downtown, so if your plane lands at 4 PM, you will be lucky to get to your hotel by 6, even if you don't have to wait for luggage.

Chilliwack, Canada
Level Contributor
466 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

Thanks...I was wondering about that. Sounds like it would be just as quick to take the Penn train?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

As a traveler of a certain age, I do not wish to subject myself to dragging luggage from the airport onto a shuttle, then through the train station to the other side of the tracks, then onto the train and then through Union Station to the taxi stand or down into the Metro. To me SuperShuttle would be a far more convenient way. And for a family, maybe even cheaper. Certainly easier, door to door, airport to hotel.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

There is also the option of taking the B30 Metrobus from BWI to the Greenbelt Metro.

No matter which option you choose I think it's very unlikely that you can land at 4:00 on a weekday and make it to a 6:00 performance at the Kennedy Center.

If you take the Super Shuttle you also have to factor in the potential for delays coming in along New York Avenue. A major construction project is beginning there.

myfoxdc.com/dpp/traffic/new-york-avenue-work…

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

I wouldn't recommend the shuttle unless you are able to persuade the driver to depart as soon as you board. Otherwise, he's going to loiter around the airport until all 10 seats are filled. Catching a cab might be faster, but the extra cost might be in vain if you hit rush-hour road traffic once you get into DC and checking into the hotel and then to KenCen from there.

Level Contributor
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

We hired a car. For 5 of us, it cost $125 including tip. My mother arrived on a later flight, and it cost her $100 for her ride.

Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

But, how long does it take by train, folks?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

You can get train schedules here:

http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train

(wow - this thread is almost 18 months old - I thought TA used to close threads when they didn't have activity after 6 months or something!)

Edited: 9:24 pm, September 14, 2012
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

Marc trains, which run weekdays only, are a bit chepar than Amtrak but are aimed at commuters and have less luggage space. Check the Marc schedule. Even if your plane lands on time, and you get off the plane quickly, your bags arrive quickly, you get the shuttle bus to the Amtrak/Marc station right away, and a train comes quickly, the train isn't delayed and your taxi gets to your hotel (which one?) quickly through rush hour traffic, and you just dump off your bags and head to the Kennedy Center, getting there for a 6 pm. show seems like expecting a lot.

There's an Amtrak train at 4:20. Not realistic unless you leave early. The 4:49 train arrives at Union Station at 5:20 pm. $14. There's a Marc train ($6 or $7) at 4:37 pm, arriving DC 5:05; next train, at 5:11, arrives 5:40

Edited: 12:39 pm, September 16, 2012
10. Re: how long from BWI to downtown??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, December 16, 2013