We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Topic
Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

I'm planning a trip this spring for myself while I have been to DC before it was always for work and someone else paid for everything. I never had any time to see any of the sights and since I will be in NYC for the first half of the week I thought I would take the train over and finally "see DC". The only problem is I am on a budget and am not sure which hotels are safe. I have found several under 120 but they are either booked or in places I'm not familiar with. I will not have a car and would prefer not to spend half the day on buses.

PLEASE HELP:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

Have you considered a B & B/guesthouse? There are a fair number of them which are in safe, convenient neighborhoods and would be less expensive than a decemt hotel in an area where you would feel comfortable. I'm thinking of the Adams Inn, the Woodley Park Guest House, and the like.

Tale a look at bedandbreakfastdc.com for some possibilities -- and at the reviews under the B&B tab here.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

What hotels have you found that are under $120 and are in areas you're not familiar with? By posting which ones they are, posters here can tell you if they are good hotels in good areas. Have you considered trying to bid for a room using one of the discount webpages? Take a look at--betterbidding.com -- biddingfortravel.com -- posters who use the bidding process find these 2 pages to be very helpful.

BTW, you don't want to have a car in DC. Parking and traffic are bad. Plus some streets have been blocked off to car traffic since 9/11.

Atlanta, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

I had considered a B&B but found a lot of those booked as well (plus they don't offer smoking rooms). All of the "budget" hotels in the city were either sold out or had horrible reviews on this site so I started looking in nearby cities. I found a Days Inn and a Ramada in Silver Spring that looked OK and were both within walking distance of the train station. Is this an OK area to stay in?

I also looked in Arligton which seemed to have numerous discount hotels, Days Inn, Econo Lodge, Inns of Arlington but I don't know anything about this area either.

Hope this helps give people an idea of where I am

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

Silver Spring is a reasonable area, and staying within walking distance of Metrorail is, in my opinion, a better option than relying on a hotel shuttle or the bus system. However, I would advise anyone staying at *any* of the suburban Metrorail stations to take a cab back to their hotel if they are traveling late at night when there aren't a lot of other people around. While crime in/around Metro is relatively rare, it does exist, because it's all to easy for armed muggers to follow people out of the station and mug them the minute they're alone. Does that stop me from using Metro? Of course not. But I do pay more attention to who is behind me, and I don't stroll off alone in the dark any more.

Arlington is also a good area for visitors to DC, but check the actual location of the hotels. Some of the places with an Arlington address are not particularly convenient to Metro. If you can find one that is within walking distance of the Crystal City or Pentagon City Metro stops, grab it. The train ride into the city will be much shorter than from Silver Spring.

Exeter, England
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

We're on a budget and booked the Harrington Hotel because of its close proximity to all the attractions and although some of the reviews complain about the staff, we just want a bed for the night at a cheap rate - also, most people seem to note that it is a safe area.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single female on budget no car 4/5 - 4/8

Whichever hotels you are considering, please read the reviews posted here under "hotels". It will help you come to an informed decision.