We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
5 posts
Save Topic
Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Hi. We're coming in April for a first visit. We live in NYC so we're used to traveling on the subways and walking. We want to be in a central location that's easy to get around the city since we'll only be there for 4 days. I was thinking about staying at the Hotel Madera in Dupont Circle or either of the two Embassy Suites but I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Since this is a family trip, I think you'd be happier at the Embassy Suites (I'd opt for the ES on 22nd St.) than at the Madera.

The Madera has much more of an "adult" vibe; in fact, now that I think about it, I don't think we saw any elementary school-aged children when we were there altho' that may have been just a fluke. The ES would give you more elbow room plus a microwave & minifridge for snacks (unless you book one of the Madera's Nosh Rooms, you'll just have a cofee maker); the free breakfast is more plentiful, and kid-friendly, than the Madera's continental breakfast -- and the ES has an indoor pool :-)

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Agree with previous poster about the Embassy Suites - for kids, it is a great choice. Can't beat the breakfast to get everyone going for the day. And the indoor pool is a definite bonus for the kids.

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Thanks for the input... Looks like I'll make a reservation at the Embassy Suites. If anyone has good restaurant suggestions that would be appreciated too.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

The Washington Post's web site has a raft of articles & restaurant reviews, but the Washingtonian (a monthly magazine) has a good section devoted to restaurants on their web site; while their dining out section is not as extensive as the WP's, I find it easier to use. And don't forget the reviews here at Trip Advisor.

One of the beauties of staying at the Embassy Suites is the dining table in your suite, in addition to the microwave and minifridge. So you have the convenient option of having a relaxing, simple supper in the comfort of your suite... but maybe your daughters don't get as tired & cranky after a full day of sightseeing as my son did when he was their age :-)

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

As for restaurant suggestions--what kind of food do you like? What price range are you looking at--cheap eats, moderately priced, more upscale?

New York
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Hi. Its been a few days since I checked the posting....

In terms of food - I'd prefer to eat in places that are good, moderately priced and not particularly touristy. We tend to avoid those at home also because I find them overpriced and lacking in food quality. Any suggestions would be great.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay with our 10 & 8 year old girls?

Washingtonian Magazine's annual list of "cheap eats" recommends the following places in Georgetown:

Aditi (Indian cuisine) 3299 M St., NW

Amma Indian Vegetarian Kitchen, 3291-A M St., NW

Cafe Divan (Turkish cuisine), 1834 Wisconsin Ave., NW

Pizzeria Paradiso, 3282 M St., NW--also has a location in Dupont Circle--2029 P St., NW

Cheap Eats in Dupont Circle:

Lauriol Plaza (Tex-Mex) 1835 18th St., NW

Sala Thai, 2016 P St., NW

Sette Osteria, 1666 Connecticut Ave., NW

I've mentioned the magazine's picks for Georgetown and Dupont Circle since you said you were going to go for the Embassy Suites on 22nd St., NW. You can use the DC Circulator bus to get from the hotel to Georgetown (www.dccirculator.com/). If you are interested in restaurants in other areas of DC, please post back.