We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washingto DC with Kids

Kingston Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Washingto DC with Kids

my husband and I are thinking of going to Washington for a long weekend with our 2 sons (8 and 6)by train. Does anyone have any suggestions of good places to stay and anything that we must do whilst there. Thanks

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,989 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washingto DC with Kids

That's a pretty general question. I'm sure if you read some of the info here on the board you'll get some good ideas.

You might also want to hit the library or book store for a guide book for Washington, DC to give your family some ideas.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washingto DC with Kids

Embassy Suites are very popular with families. There are 3 locations in DC--22nd St., NW; one right by the convention center; and one right by the Friendship Heights Metro station. In addition, there is one in Arlington, VA in Crystal City that's a short walk from the Metro station. As for things to do, many kids enjoy going to the Spy Museum (for advance tickets--www.spymuseum.org/plan/plan_ticketing.asp). Some of the Smithsonian museums will appeal to kids. Check out--www.si.edu--it will help you decide which museums interest you most.

Kingston Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washingto DC with Kids

Thanks for your help, I know of all the normal tourist things to do, but the spy museum sounds great for my boys.

Thank You

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
113 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washingto DC with Kids

We just went to the spy museum on Friday - two families - 5 kids aged 8-12. It was good. I'm not used to paying for museums in DC, so I thought it was expensive. Also, for me, the most interesting stuff, having to do with the cold war, was at the end, when we were already tired (after 2 hours). That said, the kids were actually quite interested - there's a lot of reading but there's also interactive stuff, so they were engaged. Don't waste too much time in the beginnning where you "pick your cover" identity. It never really comes up again in your visit and my 8 year old kept asking me why we did that - and I'm still not sure.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washingto DC with Kids

Kids, especially boys, seem to like the DC Ducks tour - they load you onto a World War II-era amphibious landing craft that dives into the Potomac River for a waterbourne tour of the monuments, and then emerges for a land tour. It's pretty unique and the boys will get a thrill - check them this review here:

www.gocitykids.com/browse/attraction.jsp…

They used to give the kids loud duck calls (much to the delight of the kids but the chagrin of the parents), which made for an interesting noise when the driver tells all the kids to sound their calls when driving past a crowd of pedestrians.