We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning on speed camera tickets

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
158 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Warning on speed camera tickets

This is just a warning for all who will ever drive in Washington DC. They have absolutely wicked red light cameras and speed cameras. The cameras are not for safety or to catch those breaking the law they are just money making machines and you will pay to visit the city.

According to the Washington Post the DC city budget expects to make 56.1 MILLION Dollars in traffic fines this year 2011. There is no way to prove that you did not speed and you can not even make a hearing date because the line is always jammed. I just made a $125 deposit today for going 46 mph in a 35mph zone AND I was less than a block from where I turned into the street from a parking lot. A race car would have trouble gaining that speed let alone it was rush hour with lots of cars.

You too will pay the fine if you drive in DC. You are warned.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Millersville...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

Working for a company that provides the techs vehicles it has become brutally clear the speed traps are rigged. Apparently several of our vehicles got tickets going 46 (magic number) in a 35 (same location) and at $125 a pop it is tough on the tech as the company has it deducted from our paycheck with no way to dispute. 600 block New York Ave is the spot.

Mentioned in this post
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

So drive the speed limit.

13. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, January 31, 2012
YORKTOWN
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

easier said then done! Since DC depends on the income the cameras do what COPs don't. 1MPH over the posted limit and you have a ticket.A $75 ticket adds to the Budget income. Most car speedometers are off 2 - 5 MPH, depending tire inflation, types of tires, rims (basically vehicle varibles). And driving at or under the speed limit may get you rear-ended. I was on what I thought was I295 and learned it was DC295 cha-ching. My GPS showed the speed I was travling but it does not have a record feature. I usally avoid DC roads but I395 drops you inside DC and signs for I295 are misleading to someone traveling through. Now I wonder if the confusion is on purpose. I read an article that stated enough speed tickets were issued that could cover every resident in and around DC. Basically if you work or drive through DC there is a ticket being mailed to your house.There are NO Ethics in DC and crimes does pay!!

Edited: 4:44 pm, January 29, 2012
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

As I posted in my recent thread on this same topic

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k508710…

I'm not angry or outraged at getting a photo ticket for speeding when I was in fact speeding. .It also links to a Washington Post article about a famous chef who feels BillyJOe's pain.

However, I do share BillyJOe's frustration that there is a photo camera just added in December on a major divided highway with no pedestrian access - 295 at Benning Rd underpass. The speed limit is lowered to 45 there yet regular traffic flies by daily at 60 or better. It's a speed trap designed to raise money - no question, but it's not a crime to have speed traps

For what it's worth, the only two DC speeding tickets I've gotten in 33 years of driving in DC were on 295. and the photo ticket is much more pleasant than being pulled over by a police officer on 295. The fines are all the same, but no points with the photo ticket.

I wasn't going to comment but this gives me an opportunity to add to the warning that if you do get a photo ticket, PAY BY INTERNET, on their website. You get an instant receipt, you can use your credit card with no extra "convenience fees", and you won't get hassled if a DC clerk steals the paper check and cashes it instead of crediting your account. I had posted that I was writing the check, but two friends in law enforcement in DC who also deal with the ticket agency warned me not to, so I wanted to correct this.

Last but not least: welcome to Trip Advisor BillyJOe, I see this is your first post . This issue comes up over and over here on the DC forum because DC is as aggressive as some places in Florida on generating revenue from speeders. They used to station police officers there on 295 all the time who were often quite unpleasant and the photo ticket is a big improvement in terms of convenience.

Hope next time you post is about a more pleasant experience here.

Charm

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Washington DC...
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

I won't even go into DC now, thanks to this crap. They've lost my tourism dollars entirely. They've traded whatever money I used to spend in DC for the one or two traffic tickets they were able to issue me before I made my decision never to go there again.

True story.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

Why do you have Washington, DC as your location if you "won't go there" and are a tourist?

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

Hey everyone - you can view interactive, enlargable maps, showing the locations of all known speed cameras in our area, on these websites

http://www.stopbigbrothermd.org

http://www.photoenforced.com

There have also been lengthy discussions of this, on http://www.city-data.com/forum on both their Northern Virginia and their District of Columbia forum.

Mayor Vincent Gray has just said he wants to "cover the whole city" with cameras, (according to the Metro section of today's March 28, http://www.washingtonpost.com .

Edited: 8:23 pm, March 28, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Lynchburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
552 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

Rarely DRIVE into DC. The Metro is too convenient.

In Md, we've got "roaming" speed cameras and they're set to ticket at 12 mph over the posted limit. No points, just the ticket cost. Always plenty of warning before the camera location. I did manage to get two tickets in one day.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Warning on speed camera tickets

More forum discussions about Washington's speed cameras are here:

greatergreaterwashington.org/post/14227/spee…

greatergreaterwashington.org/post/13803/lowe…

;