We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phila., Pa.
7 posts
Save Topic
Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

We are looking to take a Girl Scout troop to D.C. in April '05. About 12 girls and about 12 adults. Need to a hotel close to the metro and in a safe neighborhood. Room rate needs to be pretty reasonable, we are paying for this out of cookie money. Thanks for any suggestions.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,596 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

I recommend calling the Omni Shoreham and asking to speak with their group sales division. Perhaps you can snag a good rate.

Silver Spring, MD
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

Why don't you try Topaz. It is a chain of Kimpton group hotels, which is like a boutique hotel. They have six properties including Topaz. They have great deals.

antanele

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

If you don't mind riding the Metro 15-20 min. from downtown DC, then I suggest the Hilton at Ballston in Arlington, VA. The metro station is right at the bottom of the hotel. And Girl Scouts always sell their cookies there each year! I live in Ballston and have always felt safe and comfortable. This hotel seems to cater to groups. It's also connected to a sky walk which leads to the Ballston Commons Mall. Many, many restaurants to choose from too, including a cute little IHOP across the street that's great for breakfast.

Glen Echo, Maryland
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

April is peak season; book now! Cookie $ won't pay for downtown, but you may get lucky. Recommend using a travel agent for your group. If you are driving here, you can stay further out - try to find a hotel with a shuttle bus to Metro - an adventure in itself. You may get lucky if you search here and then call the hotel direct and ask for small group rate - I wouldn't do a group online. Ask for breakfast to be included - which would help your $$. Also try www.washington.com (Convention & visitors bureau). Write your members of congress now for tickets to everything - they sell out in April VERY early.

Also, contact National Capitol Girl Scouts - they may have ideas as well as badge programs...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

When I worked at the National Museum of Women in the Arts, they sponsored Girl Scouts and often did special private tours for them. Contact them before your trip to see if you can plan a customized visit.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,917 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

Try the Quality Inn Courthouse Arlington. Very close to the Arlington Courthouse metro station.

singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

I would suggest the HOliday inn in Friendship Heights/ It's right on the border of DC/Maryland - very very very safe neighborhood (saks fifth avenue and tiffany's is right next door). The Metro and Bus station is right there. Also I've seen a lot of student groups stay there so maybe you can get a good group rate.

washington d.c.
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

I recommend the Washington Plaza Hotel which is near the McPherson Square subway. It's a large hotel with an outdoor pool and good group rates. This hotel is near the White House and the Smithsonian museums. I do not recommend Topaz or any Kimpton Hotel for a group of children. These are more trendy and adult -orieted. I've been a travel agent for 19 years and live in D.C. Good luck!

massachusetts
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a D.C. hotel close to metro for a large group

I wondered where you ended up staying as we are also bringing a groupgof girls to DC? Any suggestions would be appreciated!