We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
White House to the Smithsonian Museum

How far is the White House to the Smithsonian Museum? Does the subway go to both places?

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,865 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

A little over an hour ago, you posted a question asking about touring the Smithsonian Museum. I answered, telling you that there are several Smithsonian Museums. Without knowing which one in particular you are interested in, it is difficult to answer your question.

Are you referring to The Smithsonian Instititution Building, The Castle? If so, then you take the red or blue line train to the Smithsonian stop. Or are you referring to another Smithsonian Museum?

Once again, take a look at this link:

www.si.edu

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

I don't know which one I am interested in. I didn't even know there was more then one Smithsonian Museum. I guess I am interested in the that is the most popular. I thought the Smithsonian Museum had a dinosaur skeleton and the Wright brother's plane. I am embarrassed that I asked now I am showing how dumb I am.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Take a look at their website. The dinosaur skeleton is in the Natural History Museum. The Wright Brothers' plane is in the Air and Space Museum.

www.si.edu

FWIW, you aren't the only one who thought that the Smithsonian was one big museum.

Edited: 3:45 am, August 20, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Here is a map of DC

www.nps.gov/mall/planyourvisit/maps.htm

It might be a good idea to familiarize yourself with DC by also using guidebook where all the info is in one place rather than trying put bits and pieces together from websites and threads

Edited: 8:44 am, August 20, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Your right it would be easier that way. Thank you.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
164 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

You can walk from the White House to the National Mall or Constitution Avenue and see the Smithsonian Musuems.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,865 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Mall
National Mall
6,810 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
357 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

Thank you PoohBear. That is the answer I was waiting to hear. I don't know why it was so hard to get.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,190 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

If check out a map of downtown DC, you will see a big sort of open area that looks like an upside down "T". At the top of the vertical part will be the White House and the horizonal part is the National Mall. In the center of the National Mall is the Washington Monument. There are a bunch of Smithsonian museums to the east of the Washington Monument. The Capitol Building is also there. To the west of the Washington Monument are a bunch of memorials and monuments - the WWII memorial, Lincoln Memorial, the reflecting pool, etc.

That should help you get oriented.

To confuse things a bit, there are more Smithsonian museums off the National Mall - in different areas of DC. Sooooooo, you can see why the seemingly easy question of "how far is it from the white house to the smithsonian" isn't so easy to answer.

From the White House to the Natural History Museum (with the dinosaurs) is about a 1/2 mile. From the White House to the Air and Space Museum (with the Wright bros. plane) is more like 1 mile, maybe 1 1/4 mile.

It is all very walkable and you should plan to walk A LOT and wear comfy shoes. We wandered all over and the blisters on my feet have finally healed from our trip earlier this month :) We loved DC and can't wait to go back.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,865 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
National Mall
National Mall
6,810 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,169 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Lincoln Memorial
Lincoln Memorial
26,612 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: White House to the Smithsonian Museum

SueFee, I'm sure you meant to say that the OP would take the orange or blue line to the Smithsonian stop, not the red line.