We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday traffic question

Manchester, NH
Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Friday traffic question

Headed to DC from NH and will be arriving Friday am staying at the Residence Inn Capital near E St and 3rd. I have some flexibility in my arrival time...early am, late am, early afternoon. Any suggestions? Does it matter or should I expect traffic at any time? I've never navigated DC during the week only on weekends.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,153 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday traffic question

I would say the earlier the better, as long as the "early am" part of your options doesn't put you in the morning rush hour.

Friday afternoon traffic can be ugly around here, especially heading down I-95, so the earlier you can get into town and dump the car, the better off you will be.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday traffic question

Agree with Irishfan. You want to avoid the two rush hours periods, which seem to expand themselves on Fridays. IMHO, arrival times between 1 to 2:30 pm would be best.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
327 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday traffic question

I left Friday at 4PM from Valley Forge NP and it took 4.5 hours to arrive at my hotel which was near yours (and leaving on Sunday morning it took 2.5 hours to come back). Most of the congestion was construction in Delaware / Maryland, which I wouldn't be surprised that any time on the Friday is bad there.

Mentioned in this post
Delaware
Delaware
United States
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Manchester, NH
Level Contributor
204 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday traffic question

I'll be heading down the Baltimore Washington Parkway around 8/9am. I know I'm going to get slammed...just trying to balance not getting to the hotel too early (and not being able to check in) vs too late and thus losing some touring time on Friday.

5. Re: Friday traffic question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2011