We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How About Georgetown?

California
3 posts
Save Topic
How About Georgetown?

Read in "Washington D.C. for Dummies" that Georgetown Suites or One Washington Circle are good for families. One is in Georgetown with lots of restaurants and activities and the books say only a 2 block walk to metro...the other closer to metro but across from the University Hospital. How does this compare with staying in Dupont or on the Hill? Will be in Washington a week so having the ability to cook is a real plus. We'll probably not have much of a nightlife with the kids...mostly daytime sightseeing and some occasional dining out in evening. Picking a hotel is really a pain when you don't know the area.

Level Contributor
503 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How About Georgetown?

Georgetown Suites is in Georgetown, where there is no Metro stop. So you're maybe three quarters of a mile away from the Foggy Bottom Metro stop, not the two blocks your book said. One Washington Circle is right across a traffic circle from the Foggy Bottom station. Georgetown is a neat area with a lot of fun shops (though that might not matter, depending on how old your kids are) and many restaurants. There's really nothing interesting for kids or adults right at Washington Circle except for George Washington University (again, not sure if your kids are old enough to find an urban college neighborhood interesting), and there are fewer restaurants. They're both safe areas. So one is more interesting, the other is closer to Metro.

Georgetown is probably as interesting as Dupont Circle. The Hill varies depending on exactly where you stay, though any place would be pretty close to a Metro station as they're pretty heavily concentrated over there. Lots of restaurants.

It sounds like you might be better off in a place where you're convenient for getting to the sights. Of the two hotels you mentioned, Washington Circle woud be the better for that. You could walk or cab into Georgetown for dinner one night instead of every day to get to the things you want to see.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How About Georgetown?

If you do decide to stay at Georgetown Suites, the walk is not that bad! I've walked from Georgetown University (which is farther from the Foggy Bottom Metro) in all kinds of weather and it is doable--unless of course you can only walk very short distances. Georgetown is a safe part of town with lots of dining and shopping options. It does get busy in Georgetown on weekend nights as the area attracts lots of college kids and young adults. Dupont Circle also is a safe area but like Georgetown, it does get busy on weekend nights. So--it's up to you. Check out Metro's webpage to see a map of the system--www.wmata.com. If you decide to stay in Georgetown, check out the webpage of the D.C. Circulator bus--http://wwww.dccirculator.com/ Finally, read the reviews posted here on TA for any hotels you are considering. It will help you come to an informed decision.

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How About Georgetown?

Call me a worry-wart, but I used to live at 2424 Penn (which is directly halfway between Foggy Bottom Metro and Georgetown). I always felt a bit creepy walking those few last blocks at night, going into Georgetown. That Stretch of Penn is very quiet, and when it is quiet, things happen. That's why I moved to Dupont, people walking around all the time. But, as SueFee said, the area IS very upscale and it isn't like you are walking through a ghetto or anything, just a few blocks of quiet streets.

So, with my paranoiac warnings in mind, You, with a family, might be better staying at the Washington Circle Hotel. The Subway is quite near, you are a short walk to Dupont. Also, that subline is the one that goes directly to the National Mall with all the museums around it.

If you want something interesting to do with the kids, there is a very spooky old cemetary in Georgetown, with Mausoleums and the like, very Dark Shadows. I think it is called Dumbarton Cemetary (SueFee, anyone, is that the right name?) Kids love it. Georgetown predated DC by a hundred years or more, so some of the tombs are quite old. Wear good shoes.

There is also the new Circulator Buses which stop in Georgetown, plus the Georgetown Merchants Bus which goes from Georgetown to Dupont. Does anyone have info on these two buses.

Cheers,

Dev

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How About Georgetown?

Maybe it's just because I lived in Georgetown for 5 years, but I wouldn't recommend staying there. It's a little inconvenient in terms of getting out and seeing other parts of the city. Not a a bad walk to the Foggy Bottom station, but with kids in tow, it could feel very long! If you were staying for a couple days, it might be different. But if you're going to be there for several days and want to be doing something different each day, it might be easier to stay closer to a metro...

san diego, ca
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How About Georgetown?

Agree with AZandDC. You will love your trip!