We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in Chinatown area in evening

Maryland
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in Chinatown area in evening

I'm supposed to meet friends near the Gallery Place/Chinatown metro stop this evening around 6:30. I'm coming from Maryland and am trying to figure out if it makes sense to drive there (since I'll mostly be going against traffic). Would I be able to find street parking? Any advice as to which streets to park on?

My other option is to take the green line metro, leaving from Greenbelt. But then I'll be taking the train back at night.

Any advice? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Maryland
Maryland
United States
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,366 Reviews
from $13.50*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
214 Reviews
from $18.95*
$24.26
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

Street parking? Near DC's Chinatown/Penn Quarter? I haven't tried that in decades, but I suspect it is one step away from impossible.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

Hi Sarah,

I used to live in that neighborhood, and finding street parking is a nightmare. Pretty much everything is 2-hour meters, if you are lucky enough to find anything at all. That being said, I have occasionally found free street parking on the weekend in the E Street area closer to Judiciary Square. However, those were metered spaces where the meters weren't in effect on a Saturday evening. (They probably would be on a weeknight.) There is also a parking garage at the Verizon Center, but it sounds like you don't want to spend that much.

I wouldn't worry too much about taking the metro at night - Greenbelt has a huge parking lot, so you could try to get a space close to the station entrance and not have to walk too far when you leave. And you don't need to switch lines to get to Gallery Place, so it would be an easy ride. I would probably just take metro.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

Definitely take metro. The few blocks surrounding the metro station are packed with traffic (the notion of inbound or outbound at 6:30 isn't very clear), and street parking is difficult, if not impossible to come by. I've run into this folly before, and wound up sucking it up and paying 15 bucks to park in the big lot at 9th & H.

Also, meters in Chinatown now run until 10pm @ $2/hr, so unless you're only there for a little while you'll be pumping lots of quarters. If you insist on doing this, you'll have better luck on 6th or 5th closer to E or F.

The train to Greenbelt is perfectly safe at night. Note that you will need a SmarTrip card to exit the lot (though the gates do sometimes seem to be up, but don't bank on it).

DC/NOVA
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
11,493 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

I agree. Unless you find a spot that someone is just pulling out of it is almost impossible. I have even had a hard time on Sunday afternoons when nothing is going on down there.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

If you think $2 an hour for on-street parking is expensive, think about what it's going to cost to park in an underground garage if you can't find a streetside space.

6. Re: Parking in Chinatown area in evening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 03, 2010