We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking near U street metro

Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Parking near U street metro

Staying in a condo on W Street NW, near 14th street and U street corridor...few blocks away from U street Metro. Any suggestions for parking? Will be in DC for 8 days. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
U Street
U Street
71 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off Trolley...
1,366 Reviews
from $13.50*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
214 Reviews
from $18.95*
$24.26
Winchester, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking near U street metro

parking is mostly limited to general use meters at in town stops (no metro only parking) ---hopefully you have parking at your condo

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking near U street metro

That neighborhood can be difficult to park, in, especially on the weekends, as U Street is a big entertainment/bar district. Have you asked the owner of the condo about parking? Even if there is no associated parking spot, you should request a visitor's pass, which would allow you to park on the street in spots normally reserved for visitors.

Are you driving in from Florida? If you're flying in, renting a car for your whole trip would be unnecessary. If you're driving in and planning to use public transport during your visit, you could also consider parking your car at National Airport or Union Station.

Mentioned in this post
U Street
U Street
71 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Florida
Florida
United States
Union Station
Union Station
2,016 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking near U street metro

Thanks! Yes, driving in from Florida. However, just got word that the condo has been rented while we (our family) debated this whole issue. Looks like I'll be searching again for a 2/2 for 6/27-7/5. Is Columbia Heights an okay area? Have three condo's that look promising there. Thanks for all your help.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking near U street metro

"Columbia Heights" can be a pretty broad neighborhood in the real estate listings, and some locations in that neighborhood can be a little unsavory if you're not prepared. I would suggest either posting the addresses here for feedback, or viewing the address and the surrounding areas on Google Street View. Columbia Heights is definitely a "transitional" neighborhood, not an established normal tourist destination like Dupont Circle, Georgetown, Foggy Bottom, Penn Quarter, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
330 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Georgetown
Georgetown
2,567 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking near U street metro

Hi! The condo is located off of 14th st nw and on Kenyon St. NW. I appreciate the advise.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking near U street metro

I think that would be a pretty good block--close to Columbia Heights Metro. Check it out on Google Street View. Columbia Heights is not a high-crime neighborhood necessarily, but it is less safe than the core tourist neighborhoods of DC. As a resident, I don't hesitate to go up there for shopping or dining, but you should know the neighborhood's reputations before you finalize your decision. DC in general is very safe for tourists, but parts of Columbia Heights are definitely "on the fringe." Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.

Mentioned in this post
Columbia
Columbia
South Carolina
Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking near U street metro

Thanks! Perhaps need to look over my options again!!!

8. Re: Parking near U street metro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, September 20, 2010