We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip near Washington DC

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
trip near Washington DC

Hello everybody! My boyfriend plans to go to Washington DC within this week and me, I'm going to visit him there some weeks later on. Can somebody give us advice about trips other cities or national parks that we can visit close to Washington? I will stay there for 5 days. Thanks in advance!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip near Washington DC

You could consider a day trip to Baltimore. As far as national parks, there are some civil war battlefields around the area. For example, Manassas, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Antietam. Do you have any particular interests? If so, post back and you will get more specific suggestions.

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip near Washington DC

Another possibility is Annapolis, a nice waterfront town with a number of 18th century buildings and the U. S. Naval Academy.

However, if you're planning to venture out from DC because you think you might get bored staying 5 days in the city, you might want to change your plans--DC has plenty of things to keep you busy for a week.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip near Washington DC

If you'd like to see the new National Air & Space Museum extension out by Dulles airport, that's kind of sort of out of town.

Instead of paying the $12 or what not for the shuttle from the main museum, you can catch Metrobus #5A for less from L'Enfant Plaza.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
53,558 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip near Washington DC

But "Darth", how would a visitor get to the museum once they arrive at Dulles? The #5A will get you to the airport but not the musuem, they would have to take a taxi unless things have changed recently.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip near Washington DC

I don't know whether or not you will have a car but if you do then I would recommend the Marriot Ranch in Hume Virginia.My wife and I went there this past weekend and it only took 1 hr 15 min to get there. It is a working ranch and you can go horseback riding for $38.00 each person and the trail guide takes you on a 1 1/2 trail ride.It is walking only (no galloping) and is very senic.After that you can go to the Oasis winery that is just another 3 miles away and take a tour or do some wine tasting.It's a very nice area and kind of a nice break from our metropolitan area.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip near Washington DC

IrishFan, good point. Never thought about that detail about #5A. I'll have to try it and see what happens...

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,994 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip near Washington DC

If you haven't left yet and like hiking in the outdoors, several nice trips come to mind.

From nearest to DC to farthest they are:

(1) Carderock Falls and the C&O Canal, just upstream on the Potomac River on the Maryland side. The fall foliage colors may be peaking now or just past peak right now. Great Falls National Park is here too. Some of the trails, like the Billy Goat trail, require very sturdy hiking boots. You'll get great views of the waterfalls and river from the top of some carderock cliffs.

(2) You can see the same waterfalls from the Virginia side. Some people think it's prettier from the Virginia side. Check it from both sides and decide for yourself.

(3) Old Rag Mountain, in Luray Virginia. Reports are that foliage is still peaking, even today (November 8). Description of the hike:

www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Old_Rag_Mt_0000.asp

(4) Visit Monticello and University of Virginia at Charlottesville. Monticello is Thomas Jefferson's home. It's quite interesting.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip near Washington DC

Seeing your boyfriend is arriving ahead of you, he should grab tomorrow's Washington Post, and keep the Weekend Section. (Its in Friday's paper.) It has extensive listings of not only music, theater movies, but museums and sports activities. He will see loads of things to do and places, including addresses, contact info. and hours.

Also, in addition the national parks, I think the state parks are probably listed separately.

Have a great time, we're having good weather!

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip near Washington DC

Thank you all! You gave me already some nice tips on this. I'm sure I will have a great time time then.