We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Getaway from DC

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfax VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Getaway from DC

I live in the DC area and am planning to go some place next weekend ( 5th Feb).. no point in going to beaches, its still damn cold. planning to go out to a ski resort, any ideas are welcome. Like 2-3 days, can drive up to 8 hours.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,725 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

Wintergreen is very nice and only about 3.5 hours away. It's on the top of the mountain rather than at the bottom. http://www.wintergreenresort.com/

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,194 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

Washingtonian does an annual list of weekend getaways. Check out the magazine's suggestions at www.washingtonian.com. They may also have a list of nearby ski resorts. Have fun!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,861 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

If you're actually willing to drive a full 8 hours, head to Snowshoe in West Virginia. Much better skiing than any of the Virginia or Maryland slopes. It's a long trip, though, and some of the roads in WV can get dicey if they've had recent snow.

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
2,561 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

I will be in Deep Creek Lake. Wisp has decent skiing and there are many lodging options, including renting an entire house on the lake.

Although I haven't been in several years, Seven Springs (Johnstown, PA) was always a favorite.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
81 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

I'll secong the Deep Creek Lakse (DCL) suggestions...our friends have a place up ther and great all year round vacation area...only ~3 hours form Fairfax as well which helps on a short weekend trip...have fun Kevin

Fairfax VA
Level Contributor
5 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

Thanks a lot people... Really appreciate it!!!!

Yet to decide on which one though!

7. Re: Weekend Getaway from DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 30, 2010