We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn Express???

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn Express???

We are traveling to Washingtion DC in March (5 in our group).. Looking for good location, clean, etc---- Noticed the Holiday Inn Express had great rates.. Makes me suspicious :) Here is the exact hotel:

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites

WASHINGTON DC NORTHEAST

1917 BLADENSBURG ROAD NE

WASHINGTON, DC 20002 UNITED STATES

Any opinions?????

Washington DC Hop-On Hop-Off...
1,381 Reviews
from $13.50*
Gettysburg Day Trip from Washington DC
336 Reviews
from $150.00*
Special Offer
International Spy Museum
219 Reviews
from $18.20*
$24.26
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,293 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

"Any opinions?????"

Horrible location, wouldn't get me anywhere near the place.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Nope. Terrible location. You don't want to stay there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Do not book any hotel in the NE quadrant of DC. Not a tourist friendly place to be. There is usually a reason a hotel is cheaper than the rest.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Whew! thank you for the advice!!!! What would I do without Trip Advisor :)-- I suppose wonder into the wrong part of town (LOL)

Okay here are two more suggestions (from a different person) :) Any opinions??

Washington Suites. Their address is 100 S. Reynolds Street, Alexandria,VA 22304 -- We would need to ride the metro back and forth, but we do not mind

the other option is:

Embassy Suites – Crystal City ( I don't have the exact address)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

That Washington Suites is not near a Metro stop. The Embassy Suites Crystal City is pretty close to a Metro stop. And a lot closer to the city too. No contest as far as location is concerned. Crystal City is much better.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Are you sure the person who suggested the Washington Suites didn't mean the one on Pennsylvania Avenue near the Foggy Bottom Metro station? That is q better location than any of the others.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

You don't say if you are driving or if you will have a car. If so, a very new area is National Harbor and there are a number of new hotels that are reasonable. You should check this out as it is a very different type of area to stay in while still being close to DChttp://www.nationalharbor.com/consumer/hotels.htm

Edited: 5:57 pm, December 30, 2009
Maryland
Level Contributor
603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

If neslaw1 didn't have so many forum posts I'd suspect that he or she works for one of the hotels at National Harbor. IMHO, it's not a great location if your primary purpose is a visit to DC. To get to downtown, you'll have to (1) drive and then pay for DC parking, (2) take Metrobus to Metrorail to downtown, (3) take a water taxi to Virginia and then find your way to DC, or (4) pay for a shuttle service.

We spent time there with relatives who were attending a conference at the Gaylord last summer, and while the hotels are nice enough, it's in the middle of nowhere and the restaurants were overpriced and mediocre.

If you're going to a conference there, you'll probably find it OK (although you won't be wowed by the food), but otherwise, I'd recommend skipping it and staying closer to the city--or at least somewhere within walking distance of Metrorail.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
58 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Maybe this information will help:

Family of five (youngest is 16 years old, no small children)

We are arriving by train (Amtrak) (Union Station) and will NOT have a car

We are visiting Washington for vacation.. Our children are old enough to really appreciate the sites :)

I think the more we research, Washington is an expensive place to stay,, But most attractions are free :) (well, I guess tax dollars, but let's don't open up that can of worms -- lol) We are excited about our upcoming vacation in March.. We were hoping to find a real bargain because the date is before summer vacations :)

Thank you for all you advice and help

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
21,185 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn Express???

Late March is when the Cherry Blossom Festival starts and the hotel prices will be higher than many other times of the year.