We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Topic
How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

I'm trying to visit Philly and D.C. in one trip..how many days do you think it'll take to see D.C.?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

I just replied to your post regarding Philly on that forum, but as much as I like Philly (lived there almost my entire life), I would also say spend more time in DC, there is more to see. How much time do you have - if you only have a week, I'd spend 2/3 of it in DC, 1/3 in Philadelphia. Both are great cities with excellent sites, but, in all fairnessand objectivity, DC is the nation's capital. Honestly, I could easily spend a week just there.

Hope that helps and good luck with your planning!

DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

In addition, all of the Smithsonian Institution Museums are FREE! I lost count as to how many different museums they run, but they completely surround The Mall.

It can take as long as you want to see DC. There is so much to see. I like Philly too, but more to see in DC.

Cheers,

Dev

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

I think you need at least four days to hit the highlights of the big tourist things to do in DC, but longer if you want to really explore all of the smaller museums and other neighborhoods in DC.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

You will never have enough time to see DC, especially the Library of Congress & the museums. It can be overwhelming.

Calverton, New York
Level Contributor
331 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

I have been visiting DC for a week every year for nearly 20 years and never tire of it!! I spent 3 days in Philly and felt as though I covered everything and took my time. The Smithsonian Museums are huge structures, and you can easily spend 4 hours in each one, if you take your time. Narrow it down to what you are really interested in. In Philly, this is true as well, but what complicated it for us was the fact that things are not always easy to get to, and some things have wierd hours. We went to one historical site in the morning, and it was only open from 1pm - 4pm. Save time and backtracking and really plan ahead for Philly. DC is pretty much open 9-5 daily, and is generally much more user friendly. Hope this helps!!

Eastbourne, New...
Level Contributor
520 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

I recently had a trip where I had a couple of days in Philly, and three in D.C. Definetely spend more in D.C, theres far more to see there. A couple of days in Philly should allow you to see the main things. Liberty Bell, Liberty Hall, The Mint, a trolley tour, the harbourfront. I'd recommend a tour of Citizens Ball Park too if you like baseball, it's some place

In D.C you could easily spend the best part of a day walking the mall, seeing the whitehouse, the Jefferson Memorial. Perhaps half a day for the Air and Space, half a day at another museum. Then there's the on and off trolley tour you can do on another day. So definetley go with more time in D.C. I like it a lot

California
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

Hi, we just finished our trip and didn't have much time for DC.

Sooo we did the Dc tour at night. From 10pm-1pm we parked on a street directly in front of the whitehouse.

Walked to the whitehouse took some pictures, turned right saw the administration building, went around the block cut across the lawn walked up to the the washington memorial, cut across the lawn to the lincoln memorial, reflection pond and the war memorial... walked up to lincoln (who is currently undergoing renovations) and then headed back... took distant pictures of the capital dome and went back to the hotel.

Total round trip was 3hrs and it was AMAZING... no other people, the sights at night are Breathtaking!

(mind you on our way back to the car we noticed the lights to the whitehouse were turned off... not sure what time they do that, but just beware that they do go off.)

Hope that helps. :)

California
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

sorry... that was supposed to say: 10pm to 1AM

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
264 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long do you think it takes to see D.C. ?

There's not a set time limit...it's about how long you plan to visit certain spots, who you have with you (older/younger), etc.

One can go through and do a quick walk through and be done in a weekend, while there are some that like to read, and are interested in certain things and it can take a week.......I think it all depends on what you are in search of.