We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! I don't know where to stay!

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help! I don't know where to stay!

I am planning a trip with my teen daughter to DC to see all the touristy things the city has to offer. I would like a hotel close in, or at least on the metro line, in a safe neighborhood (2 women) at a reasonable rate and within walking distance to some decent eating places. The amount of hotels in this city is overwhelming! Any help or recommendations from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

The Kalorama Guest House on Cathedral Ave NW is an awesome B & B. It's a large early-20th-century brick house situated a short block from Connecticut Ave, five minutes' walk from the Woodley Park stop on the Metro. Rooms are far from expensive (well under $100 per night for a two-person space.) From the corner of Connecticut and Cathedral, if you go north on Connecticut you're at the National Zoo in what'll seem like seconds. A southward turn (toward the Metro stop) brings you to a bustling commercial district containing multiple and varied small restaurants. (See the "Thai Town" post; my earlier message about the Kalorama is right above it - shameless self-promotion.) Heading in the opposite direction along Cathedral Ave will lead you through an upper-middle-class community past Embassy Row to the National Cathedral, where Reagan's funeral was held.

If you decide to look further into staying at Kalorama Guest House, there are two of them. Be sure to reserve at the one on Cathedral, not the one on Mintwood Place in Adams-Morgan. "Mine" is loved by all, but the other gets mixed reviews leaning toward the negative and is not in as nice a neighborhood.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

Beekeeper, I don't know Spensworld's Kalorama Guest House, but the neighborhood is as advertised.

If a B&B is not for you, I recommend checking out the Rosslyn neighborhood. Many chain hotels are there and they discount on the weekend. It has great metro access and is safe. There is not quite the restaurant variety, but you will not starve.

Another neighborhood that might be worth looking into is Dupont Circle. Reasonably safe and a great collection of restaurants. I do not know any of the hotels, except for Jury's which had a late night menu we sampled not too long ago.

Danbury, Connecticut
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

My family and I are coming for a visit to D.C. in October. I did a lot of research, looking at issues of convenience to metro and safety and decided on the Omni Shoreham in Dupont/Woodley Park. To get this hotel at an affordable rate I went to betterbidding.com and they gave me a bidding strategy for Priceline. It's absolutely the least expensive way to snag this 4* hotel. Good luck.

kentucky
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

Hi Bookeeper,

I just returned from DC last week and really think I can help you out. This was my first trip there and I took my dad and mom to see the World War II Veteran's memorial. My biggest concern was being in a safe place and close to all the "sights".

We stayed at Loew's L'Enfant Plaza Hotel, which was beautiful, clean and safe with great security.

Loew's is almost a 5 star hotel and is across the street from the Smithsonian's, and only about a block and a half from the Mall. The reason I booked with Loew's is because the DC Metro system has a station right on the lower level of the hotel. Needless to say, my folks are elderly and we never used the Metro, but took a lot of taxi's and the most any of these rides cost was about $8.00.

If I can be of any other help you can e-mail me at singlesu@wk.net

And you really need to take one of those moonlight tour's of DC which is beautiful!!!

DJN
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

D.C. is a great place to visit, but the hotel choices can be overwhelming - especially if it is your first visit and you don't know your way around. We've visited a few times and are returning in November. There are many good hotel choices. We have two favorite places, the Omni Shoreham, which another posting already suggested, and the Melrose Hotel on Pennsylvania Ave. near Georgetown. The Shoreham is much larger, has an elegant lobby and is located in a quieter part of the city by Rock Creek Park. The Melrose is smaller, has a more "in the city" feel (i.e. you step off the sidewalk into the lobby) and is just a 5 minute walk to Georgetown and all the restaurants, etc. there. Both are near metro stops (beware of hotels that claim to be "just four blocks from a metro station" - that can be a LONG walk), both have friendly, helpful staffs. We've felt safe in both areas, but the walk from the metro to the Melrose seems to be busier with University students and other people coming and going than the walk from the metro to the Shoreham, where we have at times been the only people on the street, if that makes any difference to you.

boston, ma
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

I highly recommed the Embassy Suites at Friendship Heights. It is everything you're asking for: good location, easy access to the Metro (just ride the elevator down to the Metro level), good restaurants lining the street. I was there this past summer with my mother, sister and minor nephew. I think you will really enjoy your stay. Because it is on the Red Metro line, you could even take the Metro from the DCA airport.

detroit
Level Contributor
285 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! I don't know where to stay!

wyndham wyndham wyndham....and join ByRequest before you make your reservation