We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air and Space Museum, Mitsitam Cafe, and Clydes Chevy Chase

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air and Space Museum, Mitsitam Cafe, and Clydes Chevy Chase

I think this is our first stay at an Embassy Suites so I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the included breakfast. We loaded up on pancakes, bacon, sausage, homefries, and made-to-order omelets before heading downtown.

Today we took the metro to L'Enfant Plaza which placed us about two blocks from our destination - The Air and Space Museum. Since it is just me and 8 yo ds on the DC adventure I am letting him choose the places and also the length of time for touring. The day was already quite hot before 10 am so we took some very quick snaps of the the Washington Monument and Capitol Building before heading for the cool confines the museum. We had short wait before the doors opened but there was very little line so we got in quickly.

I'm glad we got in at opening because it was packed my mid-day. Another reviewer had recommended the flight simulators so we sought that out first. The first question we were asked was if wanted to be up-side down. We both decided no and ended up on a very lame coaster simulation. DS then decided he wanted to try the fighter pilot simulation (the one that goes upside down) because it is interactive. There are two positions - the pilot and the gunner - ds chose the latter position so I was left with pilot. The piloting controls are very sensitive and once you are into a roll it isn't possible to correct to an upright position immediately - so be prepared for some stomach-churning moments. DS liked it well enough but I didn't enjoy the turning as there is alot of pressure on your stomach and chest when you turn - obviously I declined his request for a second ride.

Next we enjoyed some of the rocket displays while we waited for the IMAX showing of Fighter Pilot. This movie is longer than the others but was very interesting. We took in the Wright Brothers display and visited Star Lab before ds started getting hungry. With McDonalds, Boston Chicken, and pizza as our only choices we high-tailed it over to the trip advisor recommended Misitam Cafe right next door in the American Indian museum.

I was astounded by the choices here and had a hard time deciding... pupusas with beef served over slaw? chilled avocado soup? grilled salmon? frogs legs? a myriad of salads, drinks and desserts? What to choose? I finalled settled on a quarter Peruvian chicken served with a hucutay (delicious tangy green sauce) sauce and a side (I chose the avocado and lima bean salad), a fresh peach, beet, and cucumber salad (yum!), and a strawberry and watermelon agua fresca (so refreshing!). DS chose the chipotle chicken Indian fry taco (good, moist chicken but no discernible chipotle flavour which was disappointing but he loved the bread!) and a key lime tart (crust was okay but filling was perfect blend of sweet and sour). Total came to about $33 - a bit pricey for lunch but I enjoyed every bite!

DS was feeling a bit tired after lunch so he sat for a few minutes in the main lobby while I browsed in the nearby gift shop. We then headed back to Air and Space to hit their gift shop. I was thrilled to discover an actual model of the Starship Enterprise on display in the lower level of the store. I am a Trekkie but did not know about the display and stumbled on it quite by accident.

I had been planning to visit Capitol Hill and the Library in the afternoon but ds was in need of a break so we headed back to the hotel. There was quite a delay on the red line so it took us a while to get back. I had been thinking to doing a monuments cruise this evening but now time was tight for making it to Washington Harbor and the skies were threatening. We decided to take it easy, relax in the hotel, clean up , and have dinner nearby. I am a big fan of dining with local produce and since Clydes made that claim and was a walk away it fit the bill.

I haven't visited any of the other Clydes locations but this one is decorated with an old world travel theme. We were seated in an elegant emerald green banquette in the Oriental Express room. A miniature train runs on a track around the restaurant every 15 minutes. The other main dining area was adorned with hanging models of old planes (hmmm...repeated theme from the Smithsonian?). This month's special is a $13.95 5 oz. filet mignon which ds devoured. I selected the pork marinated in green coconut curry (could not taste this flavoring) served with a chipotle bbq sauce and fresh peach salsa (this was super fresh and delicious) over rice ande with green beens almondine - $14.95. For dessert ds had the chocolate ganach cake (he loved it) and I had the blackberry pie - this was just okay. Service wasn't very attentive and a bit slow.

After dinner we walked to the Giant grocery store to stock our room with fresh peaches. I then managed to cajole ds into letting me browse in World Market (picked up some snacks) and Pottery Barn.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,799 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air and Space Museum, Mitsitam Cafe, and Clydes Chevy Chase

I didn't know this was a trip report from your title, but was happy to see such a great telling about your day on The Mall. Thank you.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air and Space Museum, Mitsitam Cafe, and Clydes Chevy Chase

Thanks - I guess I should have put Day x or Trip report somewhere in there! My first day is the Kennedy Center heading.

3. Re: Air and Space Museum, Mitsitam Cafe, and Clydes Chevy Chase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:26 am, February 16, 2010