We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with teenagers

Iva
Montreal
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do with teenagers

I have two boys 12 and 15. What are the places to see with them? Which of the museums might interest them?

Thank you.

Iva

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with teenagers

Hi:

It really depends on their interests and what they're learning in school. Like if they've talked about the Declaration of Independence, go to the National Archives, etc.

I would recommend:

Air and Space Museum

Museum of Natural History

Bureau of Engraving and Printing

Many of the monuments and memorials

White House tour (must be booked in advance thru Congressman or Senator)

Capitol tour

and possibly:

Newseum

Spy Museum

Museum of Crime and Punishment

National Archives

Supreme Court

Also, do a search in the forum on "teenagers" and you will find many suggestions. Have fun!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with teenagers

Hi again - just noticed you're from Canada. Contact your Embassy if you wish to try to book a White House tour, or try to hook up with another group here that is coming on the same dates as you are.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with teenagers

Well, you know your teenagers best, but my guesses might include:

* The monuments--interesting to all ages in small doses. Going up to the top of the Washington Monument could be especially fun.

* Air & Space Museum

* Int'l Spy Museum (pay)

* Museum of Crime & Punishment (also pay)

* Chinatown--full of interesting shops and restaurants

* The Capitol

Iva
Montreal
Level Contributor
141 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with teenagers

Mopsy, we dont have much time left, we are leaving in days. Can we see any part of the White House whithout calling ahead of time?

rykarunner
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with teenagers

I have a 14 year old son, while I am not sure if your boys would enjoy the same things, here are a few things that my son thought were cool.

He really enjoyed the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cem. I think this was his favorite DC experience.

We took the DC by Foot tour which is free. This was one of his top 5, as well as the Lincoln Assassination tour that they offer. The Lincoln tour is only offered on Saturdays I think. The cost is $10 per person but very worth it. The guide is a very engaging storing teller and a wealth of knowledge. The Lincoln tour was his favorite.

We also went to Ford's Theater via the US park service to the museum as well as the ranger talk. We went there the day after our Lincoln Walking Tour. You can see the gun and the knife as well as other artifacts. It was much more meaningful to visit the museum after our walking tour. After you view the museum, you are then allowed into the theater for a ranger talk that lasts about 20 minutes. My son said this portion was a real yawner, but was glad to sit down a few minutes in a comfy chair in air conditioning and to see the inside of the theater. The ranger was very monotoned and not a very good speaker.

We also did Bike the Sites Monuments at Night tour which was one of my son's favorites as well.

Of the museums, he enjoyed Natural History and the Crime and Punishment Museum. He thought the Spy Museum was a bit lame. We did the museum and Operation Spy. My 12 year old daughter liked Operation Spy.

Going to DC my son thought the museums would be the most interesting thing for him. After DC, seeing the monuments and memorials were more of a favorite for him.

He also thought the Air and Space museum seemed old and outdated. He did like the WWII exhibit there.

Hope this helps!

rykarunner
Level Contributor
73 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do with teenagers

There is a White House Visitors center you can visit. I have not been there, we just couldn't fit it into our schedule.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
445 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do with teenagers

We really liked visiting the White House Visitors Center. There is a short film that takes you through the White House. Also, several exhibits in the visitors center including our favorite one concerning the White House pets through the years. Including the film, allow about an hour to visit.

You did not mention the days you are visiting D.C. If you are in town on Tuesday, I would recommend you consider attending the Sunset Parade on Tuesday evening. Your boys should really enjoy this. The U.S. Marine Corps Drum and Bugle Corps perform followed by the Marine Silent Drill Platoon. It is held in front of the Marine Corps Memorial (Iwo Jima). Visit their web site for information: www.mbw.usmc.mil/parade_sunsetdefault.asp

The Sunset Parade was definitely the highlight of our trip.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do with teenagers

Iva:

As others have said, without tickets to the WH you can see the outside, of course, and go to the Visitors Center. Lots of good suggestions here. Be sure to post back after the trip and let us know what you liked (and didn't like!).

9. Re: Things to do with teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, February 16, 2010