We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in DC what are main sights to see?

UK
4 posts
Save Topic
3 Days in DC what are main sights to see?

I am looking to visit Washington in November over 4-5 days (Fly in Fri 15:00,Sat, Sun, Mon, Tues fly out 20:00) I havent booked any flights yet and looking at other posts as to how much there is to see and having to prebook things I am just wondering if this amount of time is realistic.

If I do decide to visit what attractions are a must see!

I live in England so I take it I wouldnt be able to visit the White House as I am unable to contact a local Senator.

Can anyone advise what museums to visit on which days that are in the same area?

Any help would be great. :-)

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in DC what are main sights to see?

A long weekend will give you time for just the highlights, stick to the stuff that interests you the most. Most of what the majority of visitors consider "must see" is in the National Mall area. I suggest you visit a couple of the Smithsonian musuems during the daytime (go to www.si.edu) and tour the monuments at night. Go to National Geographic's website for mapped out walking tours of DC, they will give you a good idea of the distances between the major attractions:

www.nationalgeographic.com/ walkingtours/Washington_DC_Walking_Tour/ - 42k -

If you haven't already, read the following threads, all of them address the concerns of your fellow tourists coming to Washington for a very short visit:

"Help with hotels," posted by SYD-YYZ on Sep 01

"Help with Itinerary," posted by kytourist Aug 22

"How much time," lyusuf27 Aug 01

"Is 2 days enough to do all the "good stuff" in DC," HulaGurlO May 05

Did you check w/your embassy about White House tours?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in DC what are main sights to see?

Check out: www.si.edu --- it's the webpage for the Smithsonian Museums. It will help you narrow it down to the museums that interest you most. You could walk along the Mall and see the monuments and memorials. A good tour book will have a decent map that will show you where everything is. To save time use the Old Town Trolley or the Tourmobile. There are threads in this forum that discuss the pros and cons of both.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
93 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in DC what are main sights to see?

I think three days is plenty of time to see the "biggies," so I wouldn't concern yourself with that. It's sort of like going to London for three days: three days is enough for most people, though you could spend a month.

As the poster above mentioned, most everything you want to see is in the "National Mall" area. Although it is very difficult for anyone to get White House tours post-September 11, the Capitol building shouldn't be a problem. Below is my recommendation:

Day 1:

Take the metro to Capitol South. Once you get out, tell one of the capital policeman that you are looking to get a public tour of the Capitol and need to know where to go. They will point you in the right direction.

Walk over to the Supreme Court (not much of a tour here but worth going by since its right across the street).

National Gallery of Art (just see the highlights...french impressionists, et al)

Take a cab to nearby Union Station where lunch options abound.

Tour Natural History Museum (dinasaurs, etc).

Walk to White House, then to Washington Monument, then to Lincoln Memorial (sit on steps and enjoy the sunset).

Dinner in Georgetown at one of the many great restaurants (I recommend Filomena), followed by a stroll down to the waterfront.

Day 2

Tour International Spy Museum (guys like this)

Tour Haulocost Museum

Tour Air and Space Museum (guys like this)

Tour American History Museum

(pick two out of these four)

Lunch

Tour National Archives

Tour Mount Vernon (requires car, $25 cab ride, or organized tour)

Dinner at Old Ebbit Grille near the White House (quintasential Washington).

Of course the must-dos are purely a matter of interest and opinion, but these are mine. Enjoy your visit.