We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, NC
5 posts
Save Topic
College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

Myself and a guest want to go to DC for Fall Break (Oct. 15-18). We've been unfortunate in the past with booking hotels online because we didn't know beforehand that the areas were... well, scary (think North Charleston, for example).

Can anyone recommend a safe place to stay for around or under $100/night?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,913 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

"Other than Capitol Hill, which can get sketchy after dark, and along Rhode Island and New York Avenues - which are sketchy, at best, all the time - most areas where hotels and B & B's are situated are convenient and safe."

The problem with generalities is that they are generalities. :)

Capitol Hill "sketchy after dark"? Which parts are you referring to, exactly?

Rhode Island Avenue covers a lot of ground. Rhode Island Avenue NW , for example, between Logan Circle and Scott Circle/ Massachusetts Ave, has a few decent hotels (along with the infamous Braxton) and is basically part of downtown DC.

Rhode Island Avenue NE, on the other hand, (reference Rhode Island Avenue Metro stop), is pretty grimy.

Same for New York Avenue. The NE corridor is nasty, but you can't write off all of "New York Avenue" because parts of it go right into the heart of downtown DC.

Greenville, NC
5 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

We've also been thinking that by the evening of the 16th everything should be fine. Saturday the 15th we have plans with friends to visit Busch Gardens. Because of the march, and since we wanted to see the National Aquarium anyway, we're taking a day trip to Baltimore on Sunday. Could anyone recommend a Catholic Church there?

We're faxing the Kalorama House to see about availability and we're also looking at the Sleep Inn in Rockville that's a few minutes from the Shady Grove metro station.

We had a trip planned in 2003 at about the same time, but the sniper attacks had started and, understandably, our parents didn't want us to go (and neither did I!) So, hopefully, we'll finally get to take our trip. I'm so excited!

Thanks for all the help.

Greenville, NC
5 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

IrishFan - I was told to remmeber that "Northwest is best." I kept that in mind when looking for a hotel. Is that good advice?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,913 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: College Student in Dire Need of Vacation

Well except for the fact that one of the city's best hotels, the Mandarin Oriental, is located in SOUTHWEST, it's good advice. But I don't think your budget will get you in there. :)

Really as far as hotels go, most places are in Northwest DC anyway. The hotels on New York Ave. NE are generally horrible. There are few, if any, hotels in Southeast.

But other than hotels, there are numerous reasons to NOT write off large sections of the city in the mistaken belief that because they're not in Northwest they are somehow dangerous. And the opposite holds true as well; not all areas of Northwest are "safe", whatever that means in a big city today.

If you "write off" Northeast Washington and/or Capitol Hill, for example, you would miss the Supreme Court, Library of Congress, Eastern Market, many restaurants, Union Station, and RFK Stadium.