We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Topic
Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

Hi...after seeing National Treasure... we have been watching for good prices LAX to Washington DC late March. Picked up two tickets yesterday at a price we could afford.

Now after finding this board and reading this areas tips....I find that the airport we fly in/out of was not the best choice. But then if I had picked the other airports...it would have been more money...so...oh well...

Where oh where should we stay? We are a young 45 yr old couple, very flexible and enjoy public transportation...so...any ideas?

What do we do upon arrival now that we are flying into Dulles? Taxi? Shuttle?

Any tourist tips?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

If you are not renting a car upon arriving at Dulles, you can either (1)take a taxi or (2) take the Washington Flyer Bus to the West Falls Church Metro Station ($14.00 round trip). The bus leaves from the "arrivals level" of the airport, Door 2. If you are traveling light, the bus and Metro are the cheapest way to go. If you arrive on the weekend, Metro fare is $2.70 one way. During the week, it varies depending on whether you are traveling during peak hours (rush hours) or off peak hours.

As to where to stay, it depends on how much you want to spend on a hotel. The hotels in Arlington, VA tend to be cheaper than DC. The Crystal City area of Arlington has a metro stop. Some hotels have access to the "Crystal Underground" area meaning you can access the station without having to go outdoors.

If cost isn't an object, then it is more convenient to stay in DC.

Los Angeles
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

we will arrive at 9pm to IAD...so do you think a taxi is the best choice?

what might be the cost for a taxi for two to Crystal City...or to Downtown?

How long might it take?

as far as public transportation from Arlington or Crystal City....

how long might the weekday morning ride into downtown take?

I have read it is busy and costly to take it during rush hour...what time might rush hour be?

thanks in advance for all your help!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

DC has a great public transportation system called the Metro. In addition to the subways are the Metro Buses which pickup and deliver to IAD. My wife and I just did this back in October. It's absolutely NO trouble at all. The Metro bus pickup point is at the lower level (there's only upper and lower) where all of the rental car and hotel Shuttle Buses pickup. I forget the price, but it was between $3 - $5 from IAD. Take correct change because the bus drivers do not give change. The bus takes you all the way downtown to the Metro stops. We got off at the Rosslyn Metro Station and stayed at the Residence Inn Rosslyn. It's a great hotel about 2 blocks from the Metro Station. The rooms are complete with living area (sofa, loveseat, etc) and full kitchen. The hotel provides free breakfast every morning and free dinner Monday through Thursday (I think). Book it through the Marriott.com website and, if you have a AAA membership, you can get a sizeable discount. We paid $89 per night. There are restaurants and grocery stores in the area, but with the Metro pass you can find restaurants everywhere. DC is a great place to visit because most of the tourist sites and museums are free. Note, don't waste money on the Washington Aquarium...it's pitiful.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,712 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

I travel into DC on busines often and my associates from the West Coast always have to fly into Dulles, that seems the norm from California, especially if you have a direct flight.

I did a google search for Dulles and you can find info on ground transportation. The web indicates taxi fare is $45 to 50.00. It also says the last bus leaves at 11:40 PM. If you are unfamiliar with the area a bus at that time of night may not be best bet. The web also indicates shuttles are available, no price was listed, but check out www.supershuttle.com. Remember the shuttle price is per person and the taxi cost is for the trip, so you may or may not save taking a shared ride shuttle for 2.

If you can get the Marriott Rosslyn for $ 89.oo a night as suggested in a previous post that sounds like a winner. Hotel rates in DC have been high in 2004. I always suggest people try to stay in the District if possible. There is an Embassy Suites on Northwest 22nd St that is very nice. Basically most any location in Northwest DC would be good for touring the sites combined with restaurant and nightlife options. The city is very vibrant, lots of activity with people walking, jogging, biking, etc.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

Peak hours on Metro tend to be 6 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m to 6:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The fares at these times vary according to how far you are traveling.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked a great flight to IAD Dulles Airport...now need a...

tmynatt is perfectly right in pointing out that there is a MetroBus that goes from Dulles to DC. I had forgotten about that. However, you should know that it only runs once an hour. It leaves at 40 minutes past the hour (i.e. 11:40, 12:40, etc.) and the last one leaves at 11:40 p.m on weekdays and at 11:35 p.m on weekends. The fare is $3.00. It is not an express--it stops in Herndon, VA, Reston, VA , Tysons Corner, VA, Rosslyn (Arlington) Va and the last stop is the L'Enfant Plaza Metro Station in DC.

I believe that the Washington Flyer Bus, which I mentioned previously, would be better. It leaves every 1/2 hour at 15 past and 45 past the hour. Also, it is express to the West Falls Church Metro Station. The buses are coach-style and the driver will load and unload your luggage in the luggage storage area. While it is more expensive ($14.00 round trip versus $6.00 round trip on the Metro bus), it is faster and runs more often.