We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House/Capitol itinerary question

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
White House/Capitol itinerary question

Hello,

We will be taking a trip to D.C. in a few weeks and were lucky enough to get tours of both the White House and the Capitol. The problem is that the Capitol tour starts at 8:25 am and the White House tour starts at 9:30 am.

My questions are:

-- How long is the Capitol tour?

-- Is that enough time to do the Capitol tour and still make it to the White House tour in time?

-- If I decide to cancel the Capitol tour do we just not show up, or is there someone I need to call to cancel the tour?

I'd appreciate any info.

Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House/Capitol itinerary question

I don't see any way of doing both. Personally I find the Capitol much more interesting than the White House, if I had to choose one I'd skip the White House tour.

How did you schedule your capitol tour? I would give whomever it was the courtesy of a cancellation if you can - they may have someone else that wants to be on the tour that day that can fill your spot(s).

Southeast IA
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House/Capitol itinerary question

I disagree with the previous post. While I don't believe that you can accomplish both tours in that limited amount of time, I would contact your Congressman and ask if they can adjust the tour they have you scheduled for and go to the White House at your designated time. I really enjoyed our White House tour. Our Capitol tour was good, but they run groups and groups of people through everyday and I would think they may be able to accomodate a change so you have the opportunity to see them both - they are both fantastic! If you do need to cancel, please be sure to let them know so someone else can take your spot on either tour. Contact whomever scheduled the tour for you. Good luck.

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: White House/Capitol itinerary question

Thank you for the info! We would love to do both, but I think we'll have to cancel the Capitol tour because of other things that have planned for the day. I definitely don't want to cancel the White House tour. The entire purpose of our trip is because my husband wants to see the White House so, regardless of how good/bad the tour is, I want to make sure that we see it. I will make sure to call and cancel so our space is freed up.

Thanks again!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House/Capitol itinerary question

I disagree with the disagreement! :)

How could someone at the Capitol "adjust" a tour at 8:25 and expect the person to get to the White House by 9:30. Maybe the traffic in Muscatine is a bit less than in downtown Washington...

Seriously, even if the staff member was ready precisely at 8:25 and cut the tour down to 25 minutes, (which would hardly be worth the time), it would take every bit of 30 minutes to leave the Capitol building, either find a taxi or walk to Metro, deal with traffic or the subway, (transferring trains if taking the Metro) and then walking to the White House since vehicles are not allowed to drive up. During rush hour. Ain't no way.

Southeast IA
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White House/Capitol itinerary question

Pardon me, Irishman. Re-schedule the Capitol tour dmatsum, I'm sure the interns who do this will be more than accommodating. I think you and your husband will really enjoy the White House - we did! Enjoy!