We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

Hi I am looking to purchase tickets for a Nationals game through a ticket broker. For those of you who know this park, which of these seats would be better? RF or LF Corner, Upper RF Terrace, or LF Baseline. Can you tell me why they are better if that isn't too much trouble. Also can get tickets on the mezzanine. How is that in relation to the scoreboard? Thanks for your help fellow baseball fans!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

I would rank them as follows from "best" to "worst" assuming all are the same price:

1. LF Mezzanine

2. LF Baseline (those who like being nearer the field might rank this 1st and Mezz 2nd)

3. LF Corner

4. RF Mezzanine (Sec. 223-229)

5. RF Corner (front half of Sec. 135 or 136)

6. Upper RF Terrace (Sec. 222-230)

Note that I have not ranked much of the RF Mezzanine, RF Corner, or Upper RF Terrace. I would not pay even face value for tickets in those sections, let alone scalper's prices, if I had any viable option 1-6 above. The reason I wouldn't sit in any of the excluded areas is that in the case of the RF Mezz. and Upper RF Terrace, they have too sharp an angle on the jumbotron, keeping you from seeing much of the on screen entertainment. In the case of the RF Corner, the Mezz overhangs to an incredible degree, making this obstructed view seats with respect to fly balls (they've had to install video screens over peoples' heads to let them see all the plays).

For the 6 I have ranked, I have my seats in the LF Mezz and think they're the best all around value in the park, given that they are under cover, have a full view of the scoreboard and field, and have easy access to concessions and bathrooms. The LF baseline and LF corner are also great seats, and if you can find them for a reasonable price you should be quite happy with them.

The RF Mezz and RF baseline sections / rows I've indicated are fine seats, but you need to turn your head towards the scoreboard a lot more. The Upper RF Terrace seats are a great value at their face value of $10, and if I were looking to do a game on the cheap they'd probably be my first choice. I'm not sure if I'd pay a significant premium for them though, as they are true nosebleed seats.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

As a local who loves going to Nationals games Warthog's advice (as always) is on the money.

The Jumbotron is a site not be missed, so not having a view of it you would be missing a nice feature of the park.

babylon
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

does the stadium have a sunny side and a shady side? if it's a nice day, I'd rather sit in the sun...

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

For day games, the 1st base side and outfield are sunny at the beginning of the game. The third base line and area behind home plate are in shade From about Noon onward.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

It's worth noting that last year, their inaugural season in the new stadium, the Nats ranked a disappointing 13th of 16th in the league in attendance in their inaugural season, drawing 2.3 million fans. That's 2/3rds of capacity.

This year doesn't promise to be any busier given the economy and the team's prospects.

I don't know how vigilant the ushers are at Nationals Park. But if they're like those at any other MLB stadium I've been to, you should be able to relocate yourself to pretty much anywhere in the park after four innings if you're discreet about it. No harm in trying if you see something better available once you're there.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

I wish that was the case for Red Sox tickets. I don't understand why they just couldn't give everyone a chance at buying tickets for the series. I hope the stadium stays half empty for all other games. Just isn't fair but we won't start that thread again. I'll get tickets somehow. Red Sox fans always do.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

Stubhub may be considerably less expensive than a ticket broker. Season ticket holders have direct access to transfer their tickets for sale through Stubhub, resulting in a fair amount of tickets being available there.

Personally, I'd go for the baseline tickets first, followed by the corners, followed by the terrace. The terrace is just REALLY high up, I'd feel like I was watching ants.

I know that you complained about the Sox ticket sale practice in the other thread, but it's just what teams are going to do to maximize their profits and give some loyalty to season ticket holders. If you look at the Phillies and Braves websites (the other two NL interleague away series for the Sox), they're doing the exact same thing - tickets are only available by getting a package or by winning a ticket lottery. It's not some vast conspiracy, it's just business.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,774 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

That's true. Baltimore, Toronto, etc., they all have premium prices for Sox games. I have decided to get tickets on Stubhub as cheaply as I can within site of the scoreboard. I don't know how much I would lose if the game gets rained out. I don't know if they do refunds. I guess I just hope to be in the stadium regardless of what tickets I get. Can you walk around on lower level concourses if you have upper level seats? Toronto is open like that.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
663 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

Nationals Park is one of the least restrictive ballparks I've ever seen in terms of where fans can wander. The only areas that are restricted by ushers are the mezzanine (sky box) level, and the 100 level in the infield. For a typical game, you can wander down to some really good seats after the 7th inning or so without anyone looking twice at you.

For the Sox, there will be more people than usual for sure, but you can still probably pull off a significant self-created upgrade towards the end of the game if you start off with cheap seats.

Another note on the ballpark - there are a ton of great food options which are spread all around the stadium. The best bang for the buck is the chili nachos at Hard Times in left field. Every single time I've bought them, I've been stopped by no less than 3 people asking where I got that amazing looking pile of deliciousness.

10. Re: Nationals Stadium Seating - Can you help please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 22, 2009