We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Okonomiyaki in the Washington D.C. area?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Okonomiyaki in the Washington D.C. area?

Hello/Konnichiwa!

Can anyone inform me please if there are any Japanese restaurants in the Washington D.C. area where they serve (good) okonomiyaki? I like both the Osaka and the Hiroshima style, so either one is fine!

If you also have a recommendation for a Japanese restaurant w/o okonomiyaki, please let me know. I'll be visting relatives in VA.

Thank you/ Arigatou!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,812 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Okonomiyaki in the Washington D.C. area?

Apparently the only menu in town to feature it is Snap Crepes on Georgetown. Whether it's good or not, have no idea.

http://tinyurl.com/5aldmx

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Okonomiyaki in the Washington D.C. area?

Ohayou gozaimasu! My husband and I have looked everywhere in the DC area for okonomiyaki, and the previous poster is correct. That is the ONLY place with okonomiyaki, and we've never tried it because I have concerns that it wouldn't be very good. Their concept seems to be flat, pancake-like foods (crepes, naan, etc.) rather than Japanese food in particular.

There are not a lot of Japanese places in the DC area, but here are a couple of recommendations:

1. Sushi-ko (located in the Georgetown in DC and Chevy Chase MD) - really good sushi.

2. Makoto (located in Upper Northwest DC) - very upscale and traditional Japanese restaurant. It's pretty expensive but supposed to be really good. Make sure to get reservations.

I hate to say that's all I can recommend, but good Japanese is not a strength of this area. (We actually have a lot of good Korean food in northern Virginia if you are interested in that.) Most of the Japanese food around here is sushi.

Enjoy your trip!

3. Re: Okonomiyaki in the Washington D.C. area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 16, 2009