We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

D.C. Question #1

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
D.C. Question #1

My wife and I are driving from Cincinnati to Washington D.C. in mid-August and we're both looking forward to it. While I have many questions my first one is on where to stay. As I mentioned, we are driving a car so I'd like to find a place that has convenient (and hopefully, free) parking. Also, from what I understand, D.C. has a good metro system so I'd like to be able to leave the car behind and not worry about parking hassles. A hotel that is within walking distance to a metro station would be great. Lastly, a location that is safe and has conveniences such as restaurants or markets and such would make the trip ideal. I was hoping to find a room in the 100 to 125 a night range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ruben in CA

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: D.C. Question #1

Re your parking question, check out this thread:

"hotel parking" posted by phialpha, Jul 16, 2005

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: D.C. Question #1

Most hotels that are located in DC or Arlington, VA charge a fee for parking. Also, hotels that are outside DC tend to be cheaper. However, if you find a hotel in DC that's incredibly cheap, it should raise a red flag. Most likely it's a dump or in a bad neighborhood. The Hotel Rouge, 1315 16th St., NW has rates starting a $129/night. If you are a AAA member and have the Mid-Atlantic Tour book, there is a coupon you can present for free parking. This coupon is also good at the Hotel Madera, 1310 New Hampshire Ave., NW (near the Dupont Circle Metro station). Rates there start at $149/night. Also, good for the Hotel Helix, 1430 Rhode Island Ave., NW (note that one review of the Helix mentioned a problem with mice!). Lastly, the coupon is also good for the Topaz Hotel, 1733 N St., NW. Rates there start at $139/night.

You could try your luck at bidding for a room, although I don't think you could use the AAA coupon. Check out: www.betterbidding.com It's possible that you could get a really good rate so that paying the parking fees wouldn't be a problem.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: D.C. Question #1

Whenever we visit DC, we stay at the Keybridge Marriott which is located just over the line in Arlington across from Georgetown. The Metro is a block away and you can walk over the bridge to restaurants and shops in Georgetown -- or if you prefer, there is a shuttle from the door of the Marriott to Georgetown for $ 1. The parking rate is about $ 10 versus about $ 30 (I think) in DC proper and it's a self park. The Metro is the way to go since parking in the city is a hassle and in some cases not available except in a garage. It's really a ride/walk city.

The summer weekend rate is $ 123 with AAA, $129 without. If you are a Rewards member, look at the specials and you may be able to get it for $ 109. The hotel is wonderful as the reviews in Tripadvisor will attest. Has an indoor/outdoor pool, clean rooms and friendly staff. We will be there this weekend, so I will be writing a review next week.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: D.C. Question #1

Another place to check is the Crystal City Marriott and Crystal Gateway. The summer weekend rates are around $99 and the parking is free in Crystal City parking garages on the weekend. Crystal City has its own Metro station and several dining options.

This is usually where I stay when in NoVa.