We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beacon Hotel and geting to the National mall

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
1 post
Save Topic
Beacon Hotel and geting to the National mall

How convenient is it to get to the National Mall from the Beacon Hotel? We are staying the 30th of July for one night. We would like to park the car and use the metro system to get around. Is this also a good idea if we travel back from the Mall area after doing a night tour? Thanks!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beacon Hotel and geting to the National mall

Your hotel is at 17th St., NW & Rhode Island Avenue. Head south on 17th St to K St., NW. There you will find the Farragut North Metro station. Take the train to the Metro Center Station, then transfer to either the blue or orange line and take the train to the Smithsonian Stop which will leave you in the middle of the Mall. You should be fine traveling to and from the Mall.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beacon Hotel and geting to the National mall

The Beacon is about 5 blocks from the White House and about 12 blocks from the Mall unless they let you cut through the White House, but that's probably not a good idea. It is probably not more than a 15 minute walk to the Mall, which may be too much given the heat and humidity and depending on where you are going on the Mall.

If you want to use the metro rather than transferring lines it might be easier to walk an extra block to 17th & I and catch the orange/blue line there.

I don't know how late the night tours go, but if you decide to take a taxi the fare would probably be 6 or 8 dollars. If you are after 10:00 or so a taxi might be advisable over the metro, esecially if you are not real familiar with wher eyou are going.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beacon Hotel and geting to the National mall

Yes, definitely walk to 17th and I to get directly on the orange line at Farragut West (this entrance is open only on weekdays), which will take you straight to the Smithsonian stop. This should be about a 10-minute walk from your hotel. I live a couple of blocks north of your hotel and do this walk every day. It's a straight shot down 17th. If you're here on a weekend you can use the Farragut West entrance at 18th and I -- a little farther but still worth not switching lines at Metro Center.

Traveling on metro downtown at night is safe. Just make sure to check what time the last train leaves whatever station you're using.