We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 day trip w/kids

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
2 posts
Save Topic
2 day trip w/kids

Hello, good forum here.

I will be heading down to DC Aug 28 (Sunday morning from Sesame place). Kids are 4 and 7. I would like to hit, the spy museum, hologram museum, lincolns center, washington monument (how long is the wait to go up?), the space/air museum,and the money printing building. Also, I was thinking the next day of going out to see Luray caverns.

Any suggestions on what I should do on what days ? I would be leaving on the 30th for back to NY.

Thanks for any info !

Las Cruces, New...
Level Contributor
307 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 day trip w/kids

Read these two threads, they both have great info for someone coming to DC for a short visit w/kids about the same age -- "DC with 3 boys for 3 days...What to do, there's so much!" started July 10 and "Fun DC ideas for a three-year-old?" started on July 18.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
222 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 day trip w/kids

The Washington Monument requires free "timed" tickets for admission. You can either get them directly from the ticket kiosk (distribution begins at 8:30 am, but park service employees recommend getting in line at 7), or through the National Park Services web site. Tickets through the website take about a week to get. The tickets for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing should also be pre-ordered. We requested them through our Congressional rep's office three months before our trip, and couldn't get them.

The Spy Museum has tickets that may be purchased through Ticket Master. We didn't go, but someone who did said it was definitely geared for children. Other options might be the National Aquarium.

As for the Air & Space Museum, kids of all ages enjoy it, but if you have the chance, try to get out to the newest museum, the Udvar-Hazy Museum at Dulles Airport. The shuttle Enterprise is there, along with the Concorde, the Enola Gay, and military aircraft from WWI, WWII, and Vietnam.

Whatever you plan, try to keep your "line waiting" to a minimum.

New York
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 day trip w/kids

Thanks for the *valuable* information ! Any thoughts on the caverns ? And about how long you think each outing would take ?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 day trip w/kids

Luray Caverns is a good 2-3 hour drive from DC. If you want to go, it is well worth the trip---just plan accordingly.