We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old Town Alexandria & Georgetown

Northeast
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Old Town Alexandria & Georgetown

How easy is it to reach Old Town Alexandria by the Metro? Would it be worth planning a night to go to Alexandria? Are there many things open after 8 pm?

Also wondering if Georgetown is a good place to visit at night. I can not tell...would it be easy to travel from the National Cathedral to Georgetown by metro?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Old Town Alexandria & Georgetown

One more transit option for getting to Georgetown--the new DC Circulator buses. There is a line that runs fron Union Station to Georgetown, and it is pretty cheap (only $1, or $0.35 with a metro transfer). Check out this website for the details: http://www.dccirculator.com/

I live along the Union Station-Georgetown route, and I see these buses going by all the time. They are red, so they're easy to spot. The one catch is, it only runs until 9pm, so if you're going to be in Georgetown later than that, you will need to find another way back. However, the other transit options mentioned in this thread would work, as would a taxi.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Old Town Alexandria & Georgetown

Old Town is relaxed and easy (take the Dash bus), very casual and laid back.

Goergetown is fun, fast paced (splurge and get a taxi if you are up by the Cathedral) with lots of places to eat, drink and shop.

Just depends what you like/want. You can't go wrong.