We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trolley tour or metro

texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Trolley tour or metro

We are leaving Sat. and will be in Washington for 2 days. Should we rely on the metro and our own navigating skills or take the trolley tour. Will we pay as much for the metro and the stress of having to get on or off that we would be better off doing the trolley tour? I think most things on the tour we want to see but I am not sure you can do it all in one day? Is it possible?? The great advice I have gotten so far has been very helpful in planning. Thanks so much!

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trolley tour or metro

Oh my goodness, 3patch3 I am looking at my tour booklet now and there are so many stops! They tell you to pick out 5-6 things you would like to see. We did use the Metro to get to Union Station from our hotel. On other days, we used the Metro to go everywhere! It really helped so much!

I hope you have some nice weather!

texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trolley tour or metro

Yes, I have my fingers crossed for decent weather. Would you say we could cover more ground by using the metro? I know that the best laid plans usually won't work in DC, but we only have a short amount of time to work with so we are going to try.

We can't wait we leave on Sat. and will drive to Nashville and then on to Gordansville the next day!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trolley tour or metro

I know when I visit a city and have a limited amount of time there, I rely on things like a trolley that goes to all the sights or I sign up for a guided bus tour. For example, once when we were in San Francisco for 2 nights, we signed up for a tour that picked us up at our hotel. We were glad we did it because, out on our own, we wouldn't have been able to cover that much ground in a such a short amount of time. That said, you could use Metro if you plan in advance what sights you want to see. For example, you could take Metro to the Smithsonian stop and be near many of the museums. Or if you decided you wanted to see the American Indian Museum and the Air & Space Museum, you could take Metro to L'Enfant Plaza and you would be close to both places. Since nearly all the major attractions are near Metro stations, with some planning, you could rely on Metro alone.

texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trolley tour or metro

I think I have decided to rely on the metro. I will try it the first day and if that is not working I will join a trolley tour. Thanks for your help.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,152 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trolley tour or metro

Enjoy your stay and please post a trip report when you return home!