We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

Hi All -- I'm taking a short solo trip to D.C. to visit family next week, and travel budget is an issue. I was originally planning on going Amtrak all the way but Greyhound is much, much cheaper.

At any rate, I'm going to be arriving in D.C. (from NYC) on July 28 anywhere from 3 to 5 p.m. -- I read in an earlier post the Greyhound station is in a dicy area. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it, safety wise, to take Greyhound down there and walk to Union Station to meet my relative? From the description in the earlier post it sounded like the Greyhound station was superclose and not a bad walk but if it's not safe, I'll bite the bullet and pay for Amtrak...Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
maryland
Level Contributor
289 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

You do have another alternative.. we used a company i think was called Washington Deluxe, there is also Vamoose and the Chinatown bus.. read back a few pages of posts I think there is a similar posting with suggestions of other buses besides Greyhound

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
432 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

Thanks pokemom, I'll definitely explore those options, but in a quick check of Washington Deluxe's web site, it seems their schedules are much more limited than Greyhound's. And either way, ultimately I need to meet my family at Union Station next Thursday afternoon - which is why Amtrak was initially my first choice. But the Greyhound price makes my wallet a lot happier ;-)

While I'm certainly no D.C. expert (haven't been there since high school) it seems from the addresses the Deluxe stops are not near Union Station?

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

Dreaming --

You are correct in that the area of town were Greyhound is not the best. However, the time you are coming in should not be too bad, just be prepared. As far as walking, it has been super hot and humid and does not seem to be letting up. Maybe consider taking a taxi from Greyhound to Union Station. That would get you out of the area quicker and prevent a walk in some extreme temps.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
139 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

I agree with the above post. Greyhound area is not the best. i say bite the bullet and get here by Greyhound (they sometimes run $35 round trip specials online) and take a $5- cab ride to Union Station. It is hot and humid and you wouldn't want to walk anyway.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

I was dealing with a similar situation, last month from

Philadelphia.

The people on that forum recommended I check out these to

sites: They have frequent buses from NYC. I don't know

if the locatoin in NYC is convenient, though.

www.2000coach.com

www.todaysbus.com/

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
DC
Level Contributor
794 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

Hiya Dreaming Tree~

First off, why can't your relative meet you at the Greyhound, it is only 3 blocks away from Greyhound?

I, like others, would recommend the Washington Delux, Vamoose, or the Chinatown to Chinatown busses. But they have a much more limited schedule than does Greyhound.

If you arrive DC before 6 o'clock, it should be a safe walk to Union Station. I go to the District of Columbia Regulatory Affairs Office, just down the block fromt here all the time. So long as the office workers are still scurrying around, you'll be alright.

If for somereason you get held up and don't arrive until late, hop a cab from Greyhound to Union Station. Even though it is only 3/4 blocks, you won't be the first person to have done so.

Just a hint, if you think the toilets on the busses themselves are bad, the one's in the Station are even WORSE. Street people, bums, drug dealers, etc. Not a very nice station, even in the daytime.

A year or so ago I had a call from a cousin I hadn't seen in 20 odd years and he had a two hour lay-over in Greyhound and asked that I come sit with him. I used the public toilet there and I swear even I was scared, and I'm a big person.

So, either use the facilities on the bus, or wait until you get to Union Station. I would not recommend ANYONE use the facilities at the Bus station.

Cheers,

Dev

Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
432 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

The Peter Pan (!) bus company also may still run from NY to DC. In any case, I strongly endorse everything said above.

NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

The only reason I'd want to meet my relative at Union Station is he works about three blocks away and commutes from there, I just figured it would be easiest for him and not difficult for me to get there. Also, I could be wrong, but isn't Union Station somewhat comparable to Grand Central Station in NYC, in terms of being something worth seeing?

Thank you all for the details on the Greyhound station, and the info on the alternate bus companies as I had no idea they existed. I'm leaning toward doing Greyhound down to D.C. (with a cab to Union Station) and one of the other bus companies on the way back, as I'm returning from Baltimore -- just need to pick the right station to leave from!

The info is much appreciated -- thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

dreamingtree, yes, Union Station is a beautiful building and worth seeing. There's even some shopping in there if you have time to kill.

Earlier posters are correct that the bus station is in a dicey area, but if you're arriving in the late afternoon on a weekday, you'll be fine walking. Lots of people will still be around. Late at night I'd think twice, but during the day I wouldn't worry too much.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
467 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
New York
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Greyhound vs. Amtrak?

Do people have any views on how safe the Greyhound station itself is, as opposed to the surrounding areas? Would it be safe to take a taxi from the hotel to the Greyhound station at say 7pm on a weekend night?